Effects / Pre Amp Advice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PaulF, Nov 17, 2004.

1. PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Hi there - new guy here ! :)

Not sure if I should be in this forum or the Preamp one !

I'm currently playing my bass through a Korg Ampworks preamp / FX unit - which is good, but a little noisy (and the controls are a little fiddly). It's mainly live work with a little recording.

I want to change the Korg for something else. I don't use a lot of FX, but occasionally chorus.

I''m using a power amp with no 'front end' (i.e. tone controls or even volume !) so I need a 'pre-amp' sort of thing to give me the volume and tone control.

I've considered Behringer Bass VAmp Pro, Line 6 Bass Pod Pro or possibly the Boss GT6B, but I'm not 100% convined by any of them.

Can anybody offer any advice, comparisons between theses models, or any alternatives (I'm fairly new to bass gear - I looked at the Pre Amp forum and didn't recognise much of the gear being talked about there!). My budget is limited - on UK prices the Pod pro is going to be about the top of my range (approx £400 ish).

Lastly, should I be considering a 'proper' bass guitar amp head rather than a pre amp ?

Any advice gratefully received.

2. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    I'd go with the Line 6 or Boss. The Line 6 Bass Pod's should have some pretty descent pre-amp capabilities, so if your power amp is descent, you should be getting some pretty good sounds.
  3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio

I'm not sure on my curency conversion, but IIRC that is around $600 US. If your need for effects is limited as you say, then I would recomend a used Demeter unit. These can be had for $400 average and is really top shelf stuff. All tube, hand wired and made with love. My experiences with James Demeter and his company have been nothing short of stellar.

There are other alternative in this price range for a pre-amp also- Alembic come to mind.

If you want less expensive, then it seems you can't go wronf with a SanAmp unit.I have heard nothing but good stuff about the rackmount unit, and a few people even use the bass pedal as a pre-amp straight into a power amp.

Either way, you would still have at least $150.00 US to buy a nice chorus pedal.

4. PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Thanks for the advice guys - I guess I won't be rushing out to buy anything

I'll keep my eyes on the 2nd hand ads, and this forum for more advice.