1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effect's slang... The new and unique language.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bigfeet, Jan 27, 2002.

  1. I've noticed something; we use some pretty strange words and phrases to describe effects... Word like "fat", "thick", "watery" and even "juicy with lots of pulp" :confused:. These may sound pretty sick to some of us with more offset minds ::raises hand:: but they have different meanings to us gearheads.

    Could you post some definitions of what you think they mean? Just making sure I'm not alone in the dark here.
  2. old_skool


    Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Apparently you are alone on this one...
    I have heard some pretty crazy discriptions of stuff too. I think its funny when BP gives a review on a pedal. They try to make up funny noises or words to help describe the kind of sound.
  3. I think that if someone is gonna ask how to get a certain sound they should give an example of what it sounds like such as a song...
  4. NioeZero


    Sep 2, 2001
    Hmm... not sure if this is what you mean, but I recently took my girlfriend to GC to pick up a replacement knob for my flanger, and she was like "What's a flanger do?"

    Rather than explain to her that it creates short delays between two identical soundwaves to produce phase cancellation, or whatever the hell the technical description of a flange is, I told her it makes "whooshy noises."

    I associate "watery" sounds with chorus "drippy" sounds with envelope filters, "crunchy" with distortion, etc.
  5. navEtheChimp


    Jan 28, 2002
    one word...

  6. Thankyou, that works for the sounds an effect makes but explaining the quality of the effect like calling it's headroom wide (meaning it has a broad range) or fat, thick, or corpulant (meaning the tone is more full and there's more saturation). In other words expressive adjectives that describe the effects quality rather then the sound effects it makes.

    Synthed, Synthy, Synthesized, Synthesounding and Synthetic, ect.: Beep, Blurp and/or Guwah, ect.

    (Well anyway I think I'm trying to bring more honor and uh "livin up" the effect's forum but I'm failing miserably.)
  7. LowfreqB


    Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    no way bigfeet you are not alone. There are a few of us that are a little confused about the slang used to discribe the sounds bass players and guitar players use.

    It used to be so simple. Bass, Treble, Volume. I cant say for sure, but I think with the changing landscape of music in the 70's. The powers that be added Mid's to the mix as well. A few companys even such as peavey added effects and extra channels. Now if you want a bass guitar player to turn up his/her volume a whole bunch of questions go threw their minds. turn up? turn up what? my mids?highs?bass? hmmmmm what would fieldy do?

    So people have resorted to making up sound slangs like "make it fat", "thats too muddy", "too brassy or too- insert any other metal name"

    The low point in slang history came during the early 90's with the DOD grunge pedal. It had 4 knobs; loud low high and yes even grunge. DOD thought this was really cool as it produced other similar effects with lame names like the ICE Box and the Milk box. Electro-harmonix has its tron-whatever series, but everyone knows what they do. Tron gets sucked up into a world of computers and must defeat a powerful computer program in order to save himself and his computer super friends. It supposed to make your bass sound "super fat" too.

Share This Page