Effects that make the bass sound like a guitar, synth, and more? Help! ;)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PUREJOYPEOPLE, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Shame Shame - Foo Fighters

2. You Look Good - Lady A

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    We are looking to expand on this two piece drum and bass duo project... some of the effects and techniques are relatively well known by now but we are looking to find our "sound" as we continue to write originals. Starting out with somewhat reimagined covers of our favorite tunes that we can blend into the two piece performance. Like training wheels! haha..

Any suggestions from the well informed bassists are greatly appreciated!

Treblefree likes this.
  2. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    So... what's the question? Are you asking about effect pedals? Or are you asking about what song to cover? Or both :D?

AlexanderB and Bob_Ross like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Either I'm confused or this thread is.

AlexanderB and Bob_Ross like this.
  4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Look - a squirrel! :laugh:

5. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Both! lol

6. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Yeah, we'll do better next time ;)

7. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    Well, I dig your sound! Looks like you already have some effects. What's your board look like so far?

So many pedal options these days! Kinda depends on what you want to do. Filters are cool, as are octaves. I don't often use delay and reverb on bass, but it could work in a two piece. Modulators (chorus/phaser/etc), synths, etc, etc...

8. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    I will post a photo of the bassist's pedal board operation asap... He uses a Helix on the guitar side and a number of pedals on the bass side, including some fuzz and octave pedals. I think he's still looing for that "secret weapon" that defines our sound. I guess I am asking for something that is hard to answer from the outside but if there's an intriguing pedal or effect unit out there, we'd like to hear about it ;)

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Future Impact /thread

PUREJOYPEOPLE likes this.
  10. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    Wellington, NZ
    Keyboard synth workstation. Like a Roland Fantom.

11. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    Another good one is the C4. Super powerful, could be the last filter, octave, and synth pedal your bass player ever buys! I hear Future Impact is possibly even better, though a bit more expensive.

12. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas

Okay this C4 pedal looks rad.. we'll check it out

13. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Okay, so using this for the bass sounds rather than using an actual bass rig? We have no problem layering with midi sounds on a full production but we would want to keep the bass and drums aspect...

14. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    This looks awesome...

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    It is all that and more!

16. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    Wellington, NZ
    Using a synth workstation for your synth, guitar, etc sounds, and playing bass. You could have a midi foot controller as well like a KM 12 Step.

17. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Okay, I see what you mean. We can do this with Ableton as well, which is fun but it means I will need to be on a click which is less fun lol I have used the click many times so the setup is familiar and we ultimately need to go that route for various reasons.

18. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    Wellington, NZ
    You could get the drummer to wear one of those soundbrenner pulse metronome to stay on the bpm. Clicks are a bit annoying. I’ve seen a drummer watch a flashing light metronome to stay on the bpm.

19. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Yes, I have done that. The pulse thing is weird when you're adrenalin gets spiked at a show lol Flashing light works with practice but generally speaking, the actual click in your ears is best when playing with tracks imo.

Correlli likes this.
  20. PJ already knows the tricks, y'all are awesome, just need to gather up some new momentum and ROCK IT!

I'm getting huge sounds running a SA C4, EHX Mel9, SA Ultrawave into TRex Quint Machine.

IMG_20210428_173826837_HDR.jpg IMG_20210319_154051187.jpg IMG_20210305_173240055.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022