1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effects: The essentials

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cornelius Dawse, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Hello there, fellow bassists/bass fanatics!

Well, it's basically just a beginner poll. I really want a nice pedalboard, and I'm into getting pedals right now. I'll get a Bass Big Muff, which I'm not even sure if is for fuzz, OD or distortion, but I don't know what to start with, as other pedals... What do you suggest, considering I'm a 17 years old poser on a budget? I'll be part of a musical group in a few months, and we'll gig about one time every two months, with weekly band practice, and I'm probably going to play rock! So, what would be the best? Delay? Chorus? Synth? Octave?

2. Rossington

Rossington

Apr 20, 2012
    Get a chorus pedal, mine rarely gets turned off.

3. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

Dec 26, 2008
    Are you still running through a pratice amp?

If so, skip the pedals and save for a bigger rig.

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I agree that a chorus pedal is an essential pedal to own on bass. and overdrive pedal or distortion pedal would be another essential pedal to buy.

5. Take a look at my sig line. That's about 2 1/2 years into effects and that's where I've landed. It handles almost everything I've thought of. About the only thing I can't do is that Wobble effect in Dubstep

6. Rossington

Rossington

Apr 20, 2012
    I can get the 'Ya' dubstep sound, thats pretty cool.

7. Rossington

Rossington

Apr 20, 2012
    Also this... No point having the possibility of great sounds if the amp can't handle em'.

8. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    It all depends on what music you play.

OD and fuzz for me. Compressor is....eh....I just haven't found one I needed and chorus is.....blah....except for the Polytope or ChromaChorus

Actually....I would just get a multi-FX unit. That's how I started and I would do it all over again if I had to.

9. Yeah... I ain't into multi-effects, for now. Because I've been gazing so much at the views of all those ''Show your pedalboard'' post (which often led to hilarity, you guys are crazy!) To be honest, I haven't even thought about getting a proper amp, since a very good one was provided for every musical experience (gig, shows, etc.) I've done so far, and so will it be the case for the group I'll be part of... So, after one or two ''cheap'' pedals, that's what I'll be into, for sure, since I'll be gigging on my own!
    And thanks for all your suggestions! What next? I love new suggestions and ideas :D

10. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Effect pedals? The two you should get are a good cable and a good tuner. A tuner that works with bass like a TC PolyTune. Or as I can it the I-Tuner.

11. paulaviation

paulaviation

Jun 3, 2011
    If you go down the effects road I'd strongly recommend some kind of blender. You'll lose tons of low end with effects, even ones that are specific for bass.

12. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    There are not really essential effects. (Unless you play some peculiar genres.)

Use what you like, what gives character to "your" sound. And this is going to be a long journey. My journey is about 13 years and it still hasn't finished... and took wild turns.

My advice is to get a cheap multi-fx if you want to play around and experience what certain categories of effects do.

13. I'm already getting new cables, alongside the stompboxes, and I have one of those tuners that you put on the headstock of your bass, you know? Works like a charm!

14. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd strongly consider getting a legit amp first. I understand things were provided in the past, but I personally wouldn't always count on that. Just speaking from experience.

As for effects, the best thing to do would be head to a store and just try out as many as possible. Everyone's taste is different as far as what would be considered essential. I love my OD, Fuzz, Chorus, Flanger, and Wah.

15. The amp will have to wait until next summer. I bought a new bass last week, and spent 500 bucks for it (before a decent amp, let's get a decent bass, eh?)

Well, if I get one of those Bass Big Muff, would I have an OD or a Fuzz? It seems very confuse amongst bass players... And if I get a fuzzbox, I might get a cute little OD for now. Or maybe a chorus. Although, I must admit, you guys were pretty convincing with that multi-FX thing... Even if I don't really like them, for those I tried.

16. chicomalo

chicomalo

Jul 17, 2012
    Escondido, CA
    Tuner, chorus, envelope filter, delay, octave.

17. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Tuner > Distortion > Fuzz > OD > OD > OD > OD > Chorus > Delay.

YMMV

:p

18. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Dude.....DBAB.

19. Don't get a Bass Big Muff, you will disappear in a band mix. Maybe try the MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe or whatever they call it.

20. OD, Fuzz will get you started.