Effects to Emulate a Bass Recorder ala Stairway to Heaven

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lat, Oct 16, 2019.

1. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    Hey all,

I've been playing around with the intro to Stairway, and am enjoying doing the recorder parts on my bass. One of the bands I'm in is starting to learn this song as an "indulgence" song, so would like to find a set of effects that could approximate a recorder. I have a Zoom B3 that doesn't seem to have anything that fits the bill, so was wondering if anyone else has done this, or has suggestions as to what might work. Maybe a synth effect coupled with a tremolo? Maybe? I really don't know...

Thanks very much in advance.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I have a bass recorder that might work.

equill, BwanaDust, JC Nelson and 4 others like this.
  3. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    EXH Mel9 has a pretty good reed sound, but a recorder is almost a pure sine wave and has less mids. One of the flute/wistle programs on the EXH C9 or Mel9 might get closer. The original was recorded by JPJ on a melotron anyway, bass recorder is a Very low volume instrument, a good hardwood soprano recorder cuts through anything

Iristone, Vinny_G and lat like this.
  4. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    LOL Yeah, really don't want to spend hundreds on a bass recorder for part of a song...

bholder likes this.
  5. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    I've read conflicting reports on what was used in studio.
    Tracks: Recording the Recorders on the Original Stairway Project: - The Stairway Project

equill likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Honestly, I wouldn't bother. Just play the part smoothly on a bass.

I'm NOT anti effects. I have a board full. But that one part isn't worth buying a special pedal.... especially when I likely won't get really close anyway.

The volume on that bass flute/recorder/medieval.... thing.... is so low you really have to strain to hear it to begin with.

Yeah just play it on bass.

What are the other parts going to be played on in your band?

7. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I would try the Mel9

ArtechnikA and lat like this.
  8. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    And I think it’s super cool to try and cop parts in intros - I used to play a string synth sound when we would play Bittersweet Symphony

lat likes this.
  9. On the TC Sub N Up there is a Tone Print called 'Broken Tron' that is awfully close. That sound is the only reason I kept the SubN'Up mini on my board, the down is phat and nasty and the octave up sings and the chords are sublime.
    Or the other option would be the Mel9 Clarinet is close to recorder in the bass register if you get the attack and sustain adjustments right

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    lat likes this.
  10. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    That Mel9 does look interesting. 280 CDN$ at Long & Mcquade... not what I was thinking of spending, but not outrageous either...

11. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I just read that Ian Anderson was next door recording... he has the breath control, the phrasing, there was a printed part. The original sounds like professionals that's for sure

That above linked too article is a bit naive referring to "medieval" recorders and then picturing plastic Yamaha's. Vivaldi was a few years after the medieval period...Early Renaissance Music & Baroque ensembles are really popular around Boston. Nobody discusses WOOD more than professional recorder players. I'm lucky to have a good maple soprano that has that recorder sound you want, I've also had decent alto and tenor recorders. I don't think JPJ had the technique to play alto recorder or lower and if he did, the soprano part (easier to play than alto) it's because he had experience laying recorder at some point.

lat likes this.
  12. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    Interesting that you mention that. I was of the same mind, and stated as such, but the other guys were hung up on being 'authentic'... whatever... Playing my Shecter Blackjack with flats has a real nice tone in the upper registers. But, I thought I would play with some effects, just to see how close I can get. After starting this thread, I tried the B3's Defret effect with a very subtle tremolo, and that may have some potential.

EDIT: Vibrato sounds better than tremolo effect....

For the intro, there will be one acoustic guitar and an electric along with me doing the recorder part, with a 2nd electric and drums coming in once the song switches gears.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    two fingers likes this.
  13. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Oh. Mel9 is going to have tracking issues with cords if you are playing all the parts, Try before you buy.

lat likes this.
  14. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    I have a plastic alto recorder, which of course doesn't go low enough to do the bass recorder part, which is what I feel is the meat of the recorder parts...

Yes, lots of conflicting information on what was used in studio, but to my ear, it sounds like an authentic wooden bass recorder, played by someone that knows what they are doing.

15. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Just play a recorder.

lat likes this.
  16. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Huw Phillips and lat like this.
  17. MultiScaleMale

MultiScaleMale Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Just play it on bass with a gentle touch, use the bridge pickup maybe.

dramatwist and lat like this.
  18. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    Hmmm... could be wrong, but I believe the last note the recorder plays before the vocals start sounds like F2, which requires a bass recorder...

19. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    For me, I prefer the mellowness of the neck pickup, but yeah, I do like the sound of a clean, soft bass tone for this, but my band mates seem to think it needs something more 'authentic'... whatever... lol

20. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If memory serves, Tull was in the larger studio recording the Aqualung record and hated the space. They would occasionally wander over to the smaller and more preferable room to see Zep recording. Given the animosity between him and Robert Plant I can't imagine this would have panned out.

lat likes this.