effects virgin

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by skatepunkphill, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Hello,
    ive never played with any effects to this date and i feel my playing has progressed enough to be able to make full use of effects. i dont make much money and i have only looked at a few multi's and a few distortion pedals. so far ive shortlisted a zoom 607 and a boss ODB-3 overdrive. id like to start with a multi so i can experiment with the sounds on it and find my ideal set up but i also want something to compeate with my guitrist (in terms of volume with the overdrive). i was wondering if i could get some help in regards to tutorials/beggingers guides or perhaps just some coments on my current selection.
    Thanks a lot.
  2. pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    I would highly recommend starting with an el-cheapo Zoom multi effect pedal. I started with a Zoom 506II. Great way to experiment with combining effects without wasting you money on several pedals you'll probably never use much. It's a great way to start off if you are unsure of exactly what to get and you just want to learn. Thanks to the Zoom, I now know exactly what effects I like and what kind of sound I'm looking for.......Now I'm in the process of trying to build up a cool set of not-so-cheap pedals.
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Effects should be the last link in the chain. If you 'dry' sound is not loud enough or lacking in that certain something you need to address that with a different bass/pickups/amp whatever.

If you want to use effects but dont know what, there could be a 'new toys' condition. Don't get me wrong toys are nice but your 'dry' sound should inspire you.

The only thing I currently use on bass is a Boss CE2 I bought from a shop near Warwick castle for £25. I have used it twice this year and for that money I cannot lose.

The problem with plastic multi's in the £100 region is that they are very instant. They sound great instantly and get tired instantly.

I personally think that saving for a 'better' bass will be more satisfying.

This is only my opinion and it goes against the advice of the previous poster. You will get this a lot on a BBS. Both sets of conflicting advice is valid. Its up to you to sort out what you want/need.

Go to a shop and give the Zoom a thorough try out and decide for yourself if it's worth it.
  4. I seem to agree with both of the last posts. i have the zoom unit in question and yes it fun to play with and find out what effects are to your liking. i think ultimatly you need to get your sound without effects overall. but i seem to use the zoom unit as a toy to have fun with a keep my interest level high. for instance, i am learning to use a pick instead of fingerstyle only. doing any particular exercise with some fuzz or crybaby and a pick is a blast. so for those resons i dont think you can go wrong with the zoom. -peace