Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects volume question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ThaJ-Child, Jun 16, 2004.

1. ThaJ-Child

ThaJ-Child

Oct 22, 2001
    I have a problem with a couple of pedals I use. When I use them, my volume is louder than with a clean sound. Is there any kind of device you can use, or any other kind of solution, to solve this problem? Also, if there is a device for this, any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what pedals are you using that give you the problem? what type of bass (active/passive?).

3. ThaJ-Child

ThaJ-Child

Oct 22, 2001
    Sorry, I was kind of in a rush when I was writing my post and didn't think about that. I use a passive (MIM Jazz) and the pedals I'm using is a Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz and a Q-Tron. I think the Q-Tron is what's giving me the most problems. Let me know if you need to know anything else. Thanks.

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, the black cat is adjustable volume wise. The mini q-tron (that is what it is, not the full size one right?) does have that issue as it doesn't have the output level adjust. You could run a compressor after it to keep it in line.

5. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Boston
    David, how do you back the output level on your Black Cat. I'd love to do that with mine.

Thanks

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I was referring to being able to choose the volume levels of dry and wet signals, it's not a trim pot or 'master volume' but it does let you control the overall output volume. The mini q tron doesn't have any such control from what I remember.

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Boss LS-2 will allow you to blend wet and dry signals,
    as well as, adjust the volume of both the FX loop and
    the clean.

8. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Boston
    It would be cool if there was a master volume. That way when you get your optimum effect from the mix of dry and wet signals, you could back it down to the level of the original signal without sacrificing the desired quality of the effect.

i actually have an LS-2. It's a cool box (like a swiss army knife) but it's not a true bypass box and the one switch can make it extremely awkward in live situations when you run more than one loop.

Currently, I run two separate loops through a LOOOPER box. I'd like to get volume pots installed for each loop. I don't want gain pots so I suppose they would be cut only pots. I wonder if LOOOPER would do this? Anyone know off hand? I know, I should just ask the LOOOPER dude.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As the looopers are passive devices, the controls are passive also, so you can only cut.

10. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    That's why I hate pedals and only use rack FX.