1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effects w/ built in preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Oddman545, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Hello,
    I noticed that my guitar player the other day was using his effects pedal as a preamp. I know some effect pedals can do that. But do all? I'm looking to get a Zoom BFX 708 for the time being. I realize it's not the best bass pedal or anything but that's not the point. What I want to know is....would it work as a preamp? Is there one built in? And finally, if not which ones are, and how can you tell?

thanks
    mike

2. If you have a decent pre amp in your amp, why bother, as most effects aren't used all the time anyway.

If you want an effect that you will leave on all the time *or a vast majority of the time* and that is a great pre amp, get a SansAmp, does a little overdrive too, as well as sounds like a tube amp, it really beefs up your tone, if you want it to.

3. I don't have a preamp. I want a effects proccessor/pedal whatever that'll stay on all the time. Like a peavey bassfex except I can't find one. I don't want one of those Sansamps cuz they are like expensive and I wouldn't want the tube things anyways.

4. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    I had a Zoom 506II for quite a while, and always used it as a pre-amp. It sounded much better than
    in the effect loop. Bass --> Zoom --> Amp. You'll have no problems with the 708 between your bass and the amp.