Effects w/ built in preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Oddman545, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Hello,
    I noticed that my guitar player the other day was using his effects pedal as a preamp. I know some effect pedals can do that. But do all? I'm looking to get a Zoom BFX 708 for the time being. I realize it's not the best bass pedal or anything but that's not the point. What I want to know is....would it work as a preamp? Is there one built in? And finally, if not which ones are, and how can you tell?

2. If you have a decent pre amp in your amp, why bother, as most effects aren't used all the time anyway.

If you want an effect that you will leave on all the time *or a vast majority of the time* and that is a great pre amp, get a SansAmp, does a little overdrive too, as well as sounds like a tube amp, it really beefs up your tone, if you want it to.
  3. I don't have a preamp. I want a effects proccessor/pedal whatever that'll stay on all the time. Like a peavey bassfex except I can't find one. I don't want one of those Sansamps cuz they are like expensive and I wouldn't want the tube things anyways.
  4. pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    I had a Zoom 506II for quite a while, and always used it as a pre-amp. It sounded much better than
    in the effect loop. Bass --> Zoom --> Amp. You'll have no problems with the 708 between your bass and the amp.