Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects with Flat Strings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mksolid, Sep 21, 2005.

1. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I've never really got the chance to try or hear effects on flatwound strings. How does it work out? For example.. I have a Pigtronix EP-1 and a Jacques TubeBlower, would either of those work out with flatwound strings, and how so? (any other comments on distortions, bassdrives, whatever are welcome)

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    i used my tech 21 xxl bass distortion on my flatwound p last night and thought it sounded awesome. lots of low end + lots of gain really made it sing.

3. Very interesting thread mksolid! I`ve never tried effects with flats but would really like to try. :bassist:
    Soundgarden`s bassist used flats and some effects, atleast wah and overdrive (maybe overdriven tube amp) on their records.

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I have tried alot of OD, dist, flanger etc pedals with Ernie Ball flats and it sounds great!

5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    flats + effects = awesome

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Work fine, but some envelope controlled effects like filters may not work quite as apparently, but they will work. I love flatwounds with overdrive and a slight flange.

7. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    tplyons, hopefully my pigtronix will be fine if I do this! I haven't been able to throw anything at that yet that it wont pick up.

8. Maybe bright flats would track envelopes too?

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Ben Shepherd = bad ass

10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I only have one bass, strung with T.I. Jazz Flats. I think I get a better distortion sound now than I did with rounds.

One of the coolest distortion sounds I could imagine is what I get with CS-3 to Bass Xciter to ODB-3 to CEB-3 with them-FLATS!

Seeya -

Joe

11. Just strung my P with flats, haven't had a chance to listen intently but I checked out both my disto and synth, both worked fine.