Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bink This :P, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Bink This :P

Bink This :P

Jun 25, 2001
    hey guys im new to this fourm stuff
    im a pretty good bas player (been playing for a year now if you reckons thats crap well i can anything on bass xcept slap! :p) and i reckon bass dont really need efects
    no offence but i reckon if u guys want effects on bass you are really looking forward to a guitar coz bass dont need effects
    ne ways i reckon distortion sounds pretty kewl with bass when u have tone full full tereble no bass
    but bass is like lower sound we dont need pedals? do we?
    coz those guitar dudes can use then
    if we are in a band we dont use em
    you only use em if you suck :p
    so who uses pedals?

2. howdy. i reckon you need to open your mind a little.

3. ChrisRae

ChrisRae

Jan 25, 2001
    North Wales, UK
    Bink,
    Have you been writing English longer than a year?

Good luck, you'll need it!

P.S. (you're not related to JWC are you?)

4. E N G L I S H please?

And, yes, you should open your mind.

And, yes, I use pedals. I have an overdrive and will have more eventually.

And lets see...people who must suck then include: Les Claypool, Flea, Jaco (sounds like distortion), Matt Freeman (distortion on a few songs), myself, Cliff Burton and probly a whole bunch more who I cant think of right now.

5. Newsted

Newsted

Jun 24, 2001
    Greece(athens)
    i agreed bass effects are needed i use a pedal i use distortion and some clean effects like combressor and EQ are needed

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

By your standard, every famous bassist who has their signal chain diagrammed in Bass Player sucks.

So, a couple of recent bassists in that magazine who suck would be Steffan Lessard, Justin Chancellor and Marcus Miller. Stick around Bink, you have a lot to learn and acquire, foremost, an open mind. :rolleyes:

7. Finally a bass player from the south. How you reckon i figured that out? I've been kinda lonely here.

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I reckon we don't need no skoolin' nor fancy book learnin' neether... ...:eek::confused::mad::(:D

9. Homie G

Homie G

Jun 26, 2001
    *** is wrong with this dude

10. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Theres nothing wrong with bass players using effects as long as it's not all the time like guitarists who use them excessively... I believe effects can be a distraction at times , which can let yor 'bass playing' suffer from time to time. Whether a bassist wants to use 10 effects or 1 , it's entirely up to them. Whatever suits the song, If a certain part requires some effect(s) then so be it. I feel that I only need to use about 2 or 3 effects. It also depends on the type of music your playing. For instance if it's metal then you may want to use distortion and if it's funk you may require some wah wah. Whateversuits the song best I say.

11. Hey now, don't be poking fun at people form the south. We're all not rednecks. Only a select few are cursed with that sickness.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  13. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    My comments are only directed toward the Thread Starter. :)

14. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Somewhere you just gotta believe there is a village running around frantic looking for their missing idiot.

15. YES ! finally it's confirmed.. I suck !! woohoo

and i even suck twice, because i have 2 pedals :D

16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Cliff Burton used distortion and a wah. I don't recall hearing many people say Burton sucked.

17. Obviously this person doesn't know what they are talking about. Maybe if he/she does a little research, they might learn a thing or two on effects and that not everyone who uses them sucks.

Thread closed.

18. Thread re-opened.

Some people feel the dead horse hasn't been beaten enough, so now it's open season.....

I AM keeping close eye on this though.

19. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think this guy might be pullin' our chain. He hasn't posted again on this thread (to defend himself) or any other...