Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Andy Long, Sep 24, 2000.

1. Andy Long

Andy Long

May 3, 2000

Can you give us a little insight into some of the effects that you have used on your album. For instance I know you love your e-bow and you have some great effects-laden sounds throughout. How did you get the distorted lead sound on 'Virtue Of The Small'

Andy Long
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Andy,

all the effects on the album come from my Lexicon MPX-G2 multi-FX processor, which is about the best one I've ever come across. there's a whole range of effects used - the obvious ones are reverb, delay, tremelo, and distortion (the distortion actually comes from an SWR Interstellar Overdrive tube distortion unit, which ROCKS!!!!!)

There's also a phaser on the looped part at the beginning of 'Drifting', and a 'Sweep Filter' on the various soundscape tracks, which is where the techno-bleeps come from. On 'Pillow Mountain' there's also a regenerating delay, that comes back an octave higher each repeat to give that huge pipe organ sound.

My method with the effects is to find the weirdest presets and then see if I can make them even stranger - I'll try various picking and strumming techniques, as well as the e-bow, and see if they spark any new ideas. I've got loads of pedals as well, but due to the hassle of setting them up, I tend to reserve them for the studio. Live, my set up is complicated enough! :oops:)

The sound from my bass goes into the Ashdown C110, out of the effects loop send, into the MPX-G2, two sends come out of that, one into the JamMan and one into one channel on the Raven Labs Master Blender, the signal out of the JamMan goes through a Visual Volume pedal and into the other side of the JamMan and a single output from the Blender, mixing the two signals, goes back into the effects return on the Ashdown... for mulitple bass situations, add a Raven Labs MDB-1 to the front of that chain!!! :oops:)

I love my set up and have plans to expand it, and also make it more set-up friendly. At the moment it takes me about 10-15 minutes to set up and pack down, and requires a 4U rack and a big silver flight case for all the stuff...