Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by stevekim, Dec 18, 2002.

1. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    hey mike,

do you use any effects? distortion/overdrive?

ps: caught saccharine trust the other day. chris stein rocks! you two are buddies aren't you?
  2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

I dig chris much, he's cool peeps and a happening bassist.

as for effects, I haven't used much. I use the onboard compressor on my eden navigator preamp. w/j mascis + the fog, I used the "super hard-on" overderive and the fulltone overdrive boxes for solos (used the "wooly mammoth" for a bit too but that was rather intense). on "ball-hog or tugboat," I used a dod envelope filter for the tune "tell 'em, boy!" and on the second dos record, "numero dos," I used an old roland jet-phaser for our cover of sonic youth's "pch." I've used some in other places too but not much.

the problem I find w/effects on bass is the loss of punch in the bottom end. effects can cause wave cancellations which w/our low frequencies can cause havoc w/the nodes being so large. I guess a good compromise would be to run an amp w/effects and one w/out so you still can sound like a bass while your exploring guitar and synth worlds w/effects. this is what's on my mind about this. compression - almost always to some to degree but the others? I don't know. I do love the way bootsy uses effects, he's fantastic.

on bass, watt

3. Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but I have an old bass player that says you used a double amp rig (Marshall JCM-800 and Sunn 1200-s) with J, what happened to that?
  4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

the marshall was j's and the sunn kind of got beat up by watt's playing after a couple of tours. I'm back w/eden and a wp-100/wt-1000 two-fer and digging it much (check http://hootpage.com/wattsedenbassamp02a.jpg).

on bass, watt