Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects?

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by stevekim, Dec 18, 2002.

1. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    hey mike,

do you use any effects? distortion/overdrive?

steve

ps: caught saccharine trust the other day. chris stein rocks! you two are buddies aren't you?

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

steve,

I dig chris much, he's cool peeps and a happening bassist.

as for effects, I haven't used much. I use the onboard compressor on my eden navigator preamp. w/j mascis + the fog, I used the "super hard-on" overderive and the fulltone overdrive boxes for solos (used the "wooly mammoth" for a bit too but that was rather intense). on "ball-hog or tugboat," I used a dod envelope filter for the tune "tell 'em, boy!" and on the second dos record, "numero dos," I used an old roland jet-phaser for our cover of sonic youth's "pch." I've used some in other places too but not much.

the problem I find w/effects on bass is the loss of punch in the bottom end. effects can cause wave cancellations which w/our low frequencies can cause havoc w/the nodes being so large. I guess a good compromise would be to run an amp w/effects and one w/out so you still can sound like a bass while your exploring guitar and synth worlds w/effects. this is what's on my mind about this. compression - almost always to some to degree but the others? I don't know. I do love the way bootsy uses effects, he's fantastic.

on bass, watt

3. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but I have an old bass player that says you used a double amp rig (Marshall JCM-800 and Sunn 1200-s) with J, what happened to that?

4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

malcom,

the marshall was j's and the sunn kind of got beat up by watt's playing after a couple of tours. I'm back w/eden and a wp-100/wt-1000 two-fer and digging it much (check http://hootpage.com/wattsedenbassamp02a.jpg).

on bass, watt