Efficiency of Avatar cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by monkfill, Jan 12, 2003.

1. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I know these cabinets have a high power rating, but I'm wondering if this translates to "needs a lot of power to get decent sound level."

Just wondering if anyone has done an A/B of an Avatar against an SWR. I'm sure they will produce a different tone, and that's not really my question. Will the Avatar be noticeably louder or quieter than an SWR (or any other brand) with an identical input into each cabinet?
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I think you would need to specify which product you are comparing to which product; a 1x15 compared to a 2x10 would probably always favor the 1x15 for volume on lows, but the 2x10 on highs.

Generally speaking, a 3db difference is "noticeable" and 10db is "twice as loud". The stats for all the Eminence speakers are available on their web site (links from the Avatar site) so you can see what they do at what frequency.

I would imagine that some SWR cabs are more sensitive that others, likewise the Avatars.

One issue with the high power rating is "power compression"- if you put 50 watts into a speaker and get "x" volume, then you put 500w you probably get "1.5x" volume (theoretically 2x) and 800w might only get a tiny bit more. The electrical characteristics of the speaker change with power/heat and not in a good way.

Some folks like the sound of a speaker driven very hard; some like lots of speakers driven lightly to achieve the same volume.
  3. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I'm just trying to get a more general sense of Avatar speakers.

So what I was suggesting would be 2x10 vs. 2x10, 1x15 vs. 1x15, etc.
  4. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I only have specs to go on and I don't always trust them unless they are all from the same speaker manufacturer.

IMO, based on specs, I would put them in the middle of the pack. Some cabinets go low (ACME), and some go loud (Peavey), and I'd put Avatar in the middle.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i own one avatar cab and one swr cab right now, but they're pretty different (a 112 vs a 6x10).

i think the swr has a clearer voice and is louder, but that little avatar cab can take a LOT of power and not complain. it also sounds better with upright than any swr cab i've used too (a goliath jr and a triad)

that said, i'd have no problem running a pair of avatar 4x10's instead of my 6x10. they do sound really nice, especially when you know how much they cost :D
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm really thinking about going with a pair of the new 212's...or either a pair of madison MAB 2128's (2 12's and 2 8's in the same cab).