Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Efficient cab for WW and DB

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by schneidy, Aug 13, 2004.

1. schneidy

schneidy

Feb 24, 2004
    I'm currently using my 100 Watt Walter Woods into a Aguilar 12" speaker cabinet. While I would ultimately like more power from my head, I'm wondering if there are better more efficient speakers for DB. I orginally bought the Aguilar as a compromise for both DB and EB, but I'm thinking i should sell the Aguilar and get a small "hi-fi" cab for the acoustic and an old school style cab for the electric.

Thanks for any ideas you have.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The Euphonic Audio CXL-112 is the most efficient cab I've ever played through. It turns my Clarus head from a purring kitten into a roaring lion all by itself. You might also experiment with preamps depending on what pickup you are using - I just discovered a preamp that more than doubled my Clarus volume (using a Full Circle pickup). Good luck.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    My Ampeg PB 112 seems to be pretty easy on juice and sounds great with both Slab and Bass to boot.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    With the Ampeg PB series, you are running the Clarus at 4 ohms, so you are going to get a bit more volume, however do to the low efficiency, I think you will find it to be about equal to the Aguilar. You might consider keeping the Aguilar, and picking up a 4 ohm Acme Low B1.

5. schneidy

schneidy

Feb 24, 2004
    I'm actually using a Woods not a Clarus. I was also under the impression that the Acme's aren't the easiest to drive.

6. i use a flite sound 123 (12,5 and tweeter at 35 lbs) with my ww amber. great sound, very loud and very light.

hope that helps!

tony

7. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    You should try the EA Wizzy speaker....light and sounds great, you just wont believe the amount of sound this little box produces, its rated at 4 ohms , if that is important for you( i dont know the specs for the WW head you're using)
    good luck

NUNO

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ditto that. I own both a Wizzy and a CxL-112, and while the CxL-112 is the more efficient of the two, the 4 ohm load of the Wizzy makes up for this (compared to the 8 ohm CxL-112), and I find them to be of similar volume when driven by the same amp at the same volume settings. Tonally, the CxL-112 is a bit more crisp, and may go slightly deeper, but the Wizzy has just as much or more perceived low end, and has a bit more laid back tone. Personally, I prefer the Wizzy for URB.