Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effortles Mastery

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kalo, Jul 30, 2003.

1. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    :D Being that I am new on this forum I was checking out the old archives of these great posts that everyone has left and there was one post that listed a book called Effortless Mastery!

So being that I am so hungry to learn and stuff, I decided to surf the internet on this book and when I did I immediatley went out to buy it....
    I have only read one chapter and I am so IMPRESSED with this book!!!!

For EVERY aspiring bass player, intermiadate, professional musician/bassist this book is a MUST!!!!!!! The book is about 191 pages long and includes a CD!!!!! CHECK IT OUT as I don't think anyone will be disappointed with this book....

Thanks for all the great advise, I am glad to have found this cool forum, Kalo who hopes to one day become the world's greatest female bassist and spread the Darhma of bass playing to enlighten the world!!!!

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Is this the Kenny Werner book?...wasn't aware of a CD. Apparently there's also a video version available.

3. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Yes, Marcus!!! That is the book and in that back of it is a CD that goes with it...It helps with meditation....I wasn't aware of a video...Do you have the video....If you have the book, and need the CD, I would be happy to copy it for you...Oops, don't tell anyone I said that..:rolleyes:

4. another book i came across in the same vein is "the inner game of music" by barry green and w. timothy gallwey. if you ever heard of "the inner game of tennis" it is also written by gallwey. this book motivated me to new heights

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Both The Inner Game Of Music and Effortless Mastery are wonderful books.

6. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Yeah, I actually read the inner games of music and it is a cool book!!!!!! :)

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Thanks, Kalo, I don't have the book, just checked it out at Borders. I'll probably spring for it sometime, it looks good. I do have a live Toots Thielmans CD that Kenny plays on. He's a great pianist.

Haven't seen the video; a Google search will show you where you can get it.

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I just started reading this myself last night... It was delivered from Amazon yesterday and I read ten chapters in a day... I dont read evry often, so that's a lot for me.

First impressions:

I'm not sure about the concept of God, a higher being, or whatever, playing the music through you.
    I understand what he's talking about, truly I do, I believe we all experience small moments of that on occaisions. Well, I know I do, I knew I felt that way before starting reading this book, so I know what he's talking about to some degree
    BUT, I find it incredibley pretentious to say that "God is playing through you".
    I can accept that one goes into a 'trance' state where the music just flows out of you, but the whole connection with a higher being (god=life, whaddeva?!) just grates on me.

I can thoroughly relate to the way Mr Werner talks about the ego and the fear of playing getting between me and my music - although it some cases I dont think I feel it as strongly as is described in the book.
    Actually, after reading that book I honestly think I'm quite lucky in that I dont often feel a great deal of tension about sounding good when I play to an audience, I just do my best and enjoy it.
    I do relate strongly to that about a certain improvised solo in a certain song tho... but when I've listened to live recordings of the song in question I am amazed that the solo's that feel the best, sounds the best. I know when live played a good solo before i hear it - i can just tell and it's always when I'm relaxed.

Another thing that really rang true was the feeling of being overwhelmed by having too much to learn - that realy IS me in a nutshell, but when I play with the band I still enjoy it!

I'm looking forward to reading more tonight... then I'm going to read it again in six months or so I think.

I'm also limiting myself to playing one very effortless note - i.e. letting my finger fall through the string for ten minutes a day. I did this last night and i almost fell asleep :eek:

waffle over :)

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I like the CD - I have seriously sat and been through the meditations and it made me feel great! But I haven't seen how to apply it to my playing yet!

The CD is Kenny talking to you and telling you to relax different parts of your body, while he plays some relaxing "new age" piano in the background!

If you take it seriously it realy works and makes you feel much better - great for "de-stressing"!!

My girlfriend said she couldn't take it seriously however and his accent and manner put her off - didn't sound sincere - probably reminded her of all the US religious con-men we have seen on TV on exposes!!

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Got to admit, when I realised what the CD was, a few chapters in, I figured it might not be for me? I dont think I can take something like that seriously either, especially with some cheesey American accent etc..

11. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Hi,

Last night I got through the first meditation and I do think it is pretty cool. I felt VERY relaxed after listening to it and to see a positive to it. I like the book as well and I can see some of Kenny's points as being me. Including the "ego" wanting to be perfect and so forth. So far I like it.

Recently, a musician friend of mind told me about this CD. It is called Self Hypnosis for Musicians. He Told me that it works, and he also gave me the website address www.sambrown.co.uk/
    After I get through Kenny's book I am might take a stab at this Self Hypnosis CD. My friend told me that the CD went for $12.00. He totally believes in what the CD did for him.

But, since reading and doing the meditation from Kenny's book I do feel more of a positive change on my out look of not stressing out to be perfect. Kalo!

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Would you find that concept that "God" played through Miles Davis pretentious? Would it be pretentious to claim that "God" played through Mozart? Jaco? Or that "God" painted through Van Gogh?

Would it work better for you if you substited the word God for some other word, one that doesn't have such an enormous stigma attached to it?

I think the trouble is that the idea of God has this image of being something separate to us, something other than us. That's how the idea of God has been portrayed, as some higher power that we can't affect. Thusly, it seems very pretentious to suggest that God plays through you. And quite understandably so.

That's why maybe God isn't the best word to use here?

Whatever it is, do you not think that there is something that great musicians like the ones I mentioned have tapped into? That there was some "higher source" they tapped into?

How many great composers and musicians have said that they feel like music is something that comes through them, from somewhere else?

And if they tapped into it, why can't you? Is it pretentious to suggest that you can tap into whatever it is that Mozart tapped into?

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, Bhuddists tend to think that God is within all of us - so we can feel this when we do something extraordinary - seems to work for Wayne Shorter..... ;)

14. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Yes, Bhuddists tend to think that God is within all of us - so we can feel this when we do something extraordinary - seems to work for Wayne Shorter.....

> Hi Bruce,

I agree with the Bhuddist way of thinking! That we all have the God with in us and that when we do create music it does come from up above. But, again, we all have our different point of view about where that magic comes from and I believe that every musician's point is valid. That's what makes this subject so fascinating.

15. Moley approved...hrm...I think I may have to check these bad boys out;)

-Jon:oops:

16. Wait...whats with this yoga/meditation BS?

I wanna play bass...not learn how to touch my head with my toes...:)

17. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Osama-spears,

What's cool about all this meditation and yoga is that you become one with your self and in turns still get to learn how to play bass, and if a musician is open to all of this meditation and practice there bass you might pull in some pretty powerful creativity

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Herbie too ;)

And I agree with them.

19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    As a bass player and yoga teacher, I can tell you one will much improve the other.

Namaste

20. Yoga teacher?!

Awsome dude!

haha...has someone ever farted out loud during a stretch?

:p

-Jon:oops: