Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

efx help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Saetia, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    alright what single or chain of effects get me that low end gowl, not distortion or being over driven, that low end rolly balls grunt, while still maintaining the highs and mids. I guess I'm asking about pedals that will give a real "Fat" sound or tone to my Warwick, I had an effect on my Zoom 606(expensive tuner besides the one effect) but it took a dump on me and I dont want to get it fixed, and I'm thinking of selling my Pod pro and Mo'bass cause i want to just go simple sounds, anyway can anyone give me any advice?

2. natasmi

natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    FrantoneThunderhead, I think thats what it's called or maybe a Fulltone Fat Boost.

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Most overdrive devices are trying to emulate the sound of a driven power stage. The easiset way of getting this sound is to play through an Ampeg SVt and play loud.

Some solid state bass amps do have some serious grunt when pushed. Try playing loud.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think a compressor would be a good tool for you.

5. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Have you tryed thouse pedals, and which one do you prefer??? and thanks for the help its much appreciated:)

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You may want to try a tube driven overdrive pedal. I found that the Boogie V-Twin or BottleRocket work well on bass, even though they are designed for guitar.

7. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a Bottle Rocket that I might be willing to part with. It'll definitely beef up your sound (lots of bass!), and you can add some dirt/distortion too. You can also use it for a boost (clean or distorted). While it won't give you heavy aggressive fuzz/distortion, it'll very likely meet your needs. Let me know if you're interested (PM me).

8. For a beefy tone I like to kick in my fuzz(Prunes&Custard) and play rather gently. When used this way you don't really cross into that ratty distortion sound but rather end up with a harmonically rich, robust and corpulent tone. If need be you can dig in for added "snarl". This trick cops that SVT "on-the-edge" sound nicely.