Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EFX Send/Return

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by groove9028, Aug 6, 2005.

1. groove9028

groove9028

May 25, 2004
    I know this is a NooB question but i'm just wondering how to use the EFX Send/Return on my amp. It's my first time working with effects and wanted to know the best way to hook up my multi-fx pedal to the amp. if i'm not mistaken, this whole "EFX Send/Return" thing is also reffered to as the "Effects Loop" ? Thanks.

-FX NooB :rolleyes:

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    That is the effect loop.

It works like this:

Send>Effect in>Effect out>Return

or you can slave another amp to it.

Send>2nd amp

3. Well, an fx loop puts the effects post preamp (wow, that sounds weird), which i guess sounds better with some effects, while other effects require the line level power (as opposed to mic level from the bass). I would imagine that virtually all stompboxes can and generally are run before the amp input and not from the fx loop, which is seen more for rack stuff, although you can do whatever you want. the only thing i'm not sure of, however, is whether the line level from the loop can damage the stompbox v. the mic level from the bass.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That would be the effects loop, as freighttrain451 said, mostly for rackmount gear.

5. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    What model is your multi-effect? If it also can be used as a preamp, it should probably stay out of your effects loop. Consult your owners manual. It should tell you if it can be placed in your loop.

Generally speaking effects are ordered: Wahs/envelopes, Overdrives/Distortions, modulations (chorus and delay), reverb.The wahs/envelopes, ODs/dist, and synths usually are placed before your preamp, and modulations go in your effects loop.

Obviously, most multi's cannot be broken out this way, and usually are placed in front of the preamp.

6. Smoe

Smoe

Jul 20, 2005
    There's a few bits and pieces to think about dude.

Staright up: the preamp in your amp is a gain device, and is essentially in the same group as overdrives and distortions. The effect send/return lets you think of your preamp as another pedal in your chain.

There's a couple of issues here:
    1) signal order - if you want to be picky and make sure that all of your delays, reverbs, modulations are after any sort of gain device then all of these pedals need to go in the effect loop.

2) output level of your effect send - check the output level that comes out of your amp and compare it against each pedal that the signal would be running through once the signal leaves your amp via the effect send. If it's higher than the max. input level on your pedals, then don't use it.

3) user manuals - In the manual for my EBS Octabass pedal, it says clearly to avoid using the effect loop. I think this is due to the pedal being triggered by the pitch of the note, so it needs the cleanest signal possible. getting the signal after it has been through the preamp might degrade it some.

Some more stuff for you to think about.
    In saying all of this, I avoid my effect loop entirely. I go through about 12 pedals (which I ordered by messing around with until I got what I liked), then straight into my preamp.

Just keep messing about. Read about it first, then mess about it until you get it how you want it.