Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ego bruised..

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Barfly, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    OK, we've all had bad gigs, it is part of the game. But tonight was the worst I can remember in years.

We are a Def Leppard trib, and before you laugh, that **** can be hard to play AND sing main backups, which is what I do. The venue was one of the biggest rock rooms around, very well known and hard to get into. Anyway, we were playing with a substitute singer who did a great job on 3 weeks notice.

We practiced last Thursday - loud!!! Our first mistake.

My voice was fine for 90% of set one but just deteriorated from there. My playing was okay - not great, not bad - but the fact that my vox were caput really pissed me of - still does.

Word on the street is we were fine, bar wants us back, agent was cool with it, etc. But I'm just pissed knowing I can do this stuff (first gig 3 weeks ago was a huge success) but croaked tonight.

Just venting, guys.

Steve

2. Sounds like you couldn't hear yourself in the stage monitors. Good monitors save voices!

Also, there's a throat spray called Entertainer's Secret that I've seen singers use, and they say it really works. You might try it. I run sound for a local band occassionally and the singer recommends it, he says you can get it at local drugstores but you have to ask for it

3. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Hmm...I'll have to see if it's available in Canada. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, I told the sound troll a few times that I needed more "me" in my monitor. Fell on deaf ears, tho.

4. I've also seen Entertainer's Secret available over the 'net.

When I mix sound, I've noticed that we will start at a certain sound level during the sound check. Sometimes the band will say that the singers are too loud in the monitor mix, so I'll turn them down...for the sound check. When the band starts playing, though, the band's sound level rises a lot, and then I raise the singers' monitor levels back up to where they were originally. The drummer hits harder (he hits REALLY hard) and the bass and guitars turn up to match. Anyhow, at the end of the night, I usually get compliments on a good stage mix :smug: It helps having a pair of good JBL monitors up front and another pair of monitors for the drummer, with plenty of power to drive them all.

5. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Sounds like you know what you're doing as a sound man.

Unfortunatly, the goof we had on Saturday night couldn't mix a drink, let alone a 5 piece band with 5 vocals.

I got hold of the Canadian rep and am just waiting on costs. I'm going to give this stuff a try. Thanks again for the lead.

Steve

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Barfly: As long as you continue to be your own worst critic, you'll be fine, dude. :D

7. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
  8. Nothing wrong with being a tribute band. My band isn't a tribute band per se, but we do have a nice KISS trib show. A lot of fun, and you can market yourself to corporate parties as a nostalgia act. Make some decent $.

9. devain21to7

devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    sippi
    Hey man , no shame in being in a DL trib band, I started in a DL trib band. I "was" Joe Elliot, and my vocal chords suffered alot from those damn high notes, so I know where your coming from . By the way, what is yalls name, we were Fire Sugar.

10. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I'm not ashamed at all, I really enjoy it!!! We are called "Rock Of Ages".

11. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    No shame in Def Lep. At the time they were cool as all hell. All music will be dated at one point. Entertainers Secret is awesome. My singer uses and I do for my backing vocals. Great stuff. By the way, $$$$$wise, tribute bands in Chicago make more than unsigned original acts. :bawl: