Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ego problems....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 12, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Anyone ever get offered a paying gig with a group they thought was really bad (or that just was plain bad). If so did you take it and how did you deal with it. I've done it in the past - and the opportunity may be here again - but I freak out when I'm playing wanting so badly to promote my other band to anyone who's there to see us. Or I can't wait to say to anyone who questions anything about the band "I'm just getting payed to do this". I don't think that's too cool though.

Any thoughts?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Oh yeah. One of the dullest cover bands I was ever in was a good paying gig. Plus, during the breaks, women were all over us. The money enabled me to buy whatever new gear appeared in Guitar Player or Creem that month (Bass Player wasn't around then).

As Jimmy Carl Black said in Zappa's "200 Motels" when he was tempted by the devil to sell his sould and play "comedy music" for a living, "Hell, ahm perfesshnul!!! Ah'll do innythang fer munny...,"