EH Bass Micro Synthesizer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassLobster, May 10, 2001.

1. Any opinions about this device? I supppose it's not to be found in everyone's pedalboard, as some regard it (like most of the funky and bizarre EH effects) as a novelty item like the Frequency Analyzer. How about you? Has anyone found actual USE for it in a band? In a band that has GIGS? How do you find it's playability and sounds?

My personal experience with it is limited to 15 minutes of tinkering and probing in a shop with headphones, so naturally my curiosity was awakened.
  2. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have one and I love it. I have used it with my band, but only in practices. We are still looking for a use for it live. It takes a while to get used to it, but it is a fun pedal. It would be great for a bass solo and if my band did more "space rock" I would have already used it live. It is a great pedal if you can afford it (it is a little pricey).

3. Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    The bassist in Radiohead uses one on a track from 'OK Computer' , I have only heard the Boss
    bass synth which I might puchase because it's a bit cheaper.
  4. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I played one last week, played it for half an hour or so, while a girlfriend of mine was twiddling the controls.

After a while, I decided that the bass sounded the best with the thing off. Though it sounded nice, you should decide for yourself whether you desire to have an "effects-loaded" kind of sound.

I haven't yet. I'd rather go for an envelope filter or so, or that loop thingy.
  5. i also have one and i love it. it puts a smile on my face when i slide the sliders.

i have yet to find a song to use it in tho.
  6. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    I used my MS on a gig with my spacerock band last weekend. It is suitable for those between song space sections. I used it a couple of times for some pretty way out sounds. One of my favorite sounds is to just play a long note and let the filter sweep. Reminds me of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

In another band that doesn't really play out at all, I sometimes just leave the thing on all the time. When everyone in the band is playing, you can't really hear the MS effect so much. It kind of gets lost in the mix.

The Boss Synth is digital and very glitchy and doesn't sound as good IMO. One of the things I love about the EH MS is that it tracks really well and it has that analog randomness about it. You can really vary the tone by how hard you play, or using your nails to pick the strings.
  7. I figured that Colin (radiohead) used an EH synth on a few tracks. Those are some sweet tones.
  8. I've given some thought to it's pros and cons, and on the good side we have fairly good tracking, response to playing dynamics and... oh well, funky looks - it's almost like some radar jamming device straight from the Battlestar Galactica! Bad sides, though, are price (!), lack of true bypass and somewhat limited use when it comes to it's sounds (unless you play space rock, which I would love to do more)... I guess the ideal situation would be to find a used unit.

BTW, If you combine overdrive (like a vintage Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer) and EH Small Stone phaser, you get quite a similiar sound happening... It even imitates filter sweeps.