Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EH Black Finger or Keely Compressor????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by afroman, Aug 11, 2005.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I currently use an ART TCS tube 2-channel compressor. It is very nice and I can get good compression with it, and it has all the compression control to set and change (ratio, attack, release, threshold, etc). But Im thinking on going with a pedal compressor. I dont have the need for 2 channels of compression anymore and will love to have the rack space back for other gear. I do really love the ARTs UV meter, that lets me know how much im compressing. I really just like to use compression to smooth out my notes but more importantly for speaker protection. I've read a loooot of reviews for both of these pedals, and apparently they're both really good. Both are in the aprox. $200 price range. The Keelley seems a lot easier to use and aside form the dozens of good reviews, I've read some that made me doubt if it's suitable for bass. The Black Finger seems to be more versatile and thus "harder" to use. But the 2 tubes really tempt me a lot, and the extra knobs and settings I could get are very tempting. I'm not a knob-freak, I play with a Aguilar DB750 through Aguilar cabs and only have a Boss TU-2 tuner; no pedalboard and no plans to have one. I play mainly flat EQ and like a punchy midrange sound, with round lows and clear highs but not much treble. I use a SR5 and a Fender jazz.

Should any of this two pedals make me happier in your opinion or should I just keep the TCS. I know this is a subjective matter, but I'd like to hear your thoughts, specially on the Kelley and Black Finger.

Any help is very welcome and appreciated.

Peace...

2. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    A guitarist friend has the Keeley with the external attack adjustment. I've used it a few times to check it out. It worked great for me on both my '79 Stingray and my new Ibanez SR-506. I'm planning on ordering one shortly. It's the cleanest Compressor I've ever tried in 25 years. :)

3. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Wow!!! thats good. I too have a Stingray (SR5) they're awesome basses. Thanks for the response. One question, can you tell it's working/compressing?? I don't want a compressor that alters my sound but I'd like to be able to tell it's doing something, aside for the LED turned on.

Thanks again....