1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EH Freeze and echo?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jay tay, May 19, 2011.

1. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    Hi there, I've just got a new electro harmonix freeze pedal, and I am wanting to use it with some echo. The thing is I only want the echo to effect the sustained notes from the freeze, and not the notes I play over it... I have done this on a dub track in the studio, by simply overdubbing the bass line, how would I get the same affect live, I am relatively new to effects, so any suggestions will be most appreciated, I don't mind experimenting, but I'm at a complete loss!

I have a feeling that it's not going to work, but I'll give anything a go... well almost anything!

2. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    you'd have to split the signal somehow. might have to bi-amp too? or at least run a splitter at the end of two bypass loops?

you could have a bypass loop with the Freeze -> Echo, play the note you want, than switch out of that loop and play over it. i THINK that would work. there might be a more elegant way to do it though.

3. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101

Mar 3, 2008
    SC
    Here is one way. Have 1 AB Splitter and one ABY Switch. Have one cable running straight from the AB to the ABY. Then have the other path with the freeze. Keep the ABY switcher on both paths, and when you switch to the freeze path you can play a note and switch back to play without that note.

Make Sense?

4. WhiteNinja

WhiteNinja

Jan 20, 2011
    Or you can have your Freeze as the last pedal in your chain (or anywhere behind the Reverb).

1) Engage Reverb
    2) Play note/chord
    3) Hold note/chord with the Freeze
    4) Disengage Reverb
    5) Play your overdub
    6) ???
    7) Profit!

That's how I would do it without a splitter or switch.

5. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    i think he'd still need another split or loop.

'cause he wants a sustained note from the Freeze that is the ONLY thing running into a delay, then a separate channel that he can play over the top of that.

i THINK you'd need a couple bypass loops with splitters for that? or the ABY splitter might work if there's one before the Freeze and after the delay? i think.

6. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101

Mar 3, 2008
    SC
    That will work. Just keep the second ABY on Y and switch between A and B on the first one.

7. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    Yeah this is what I thought, but when I tried this the freeze only holds the signal going through it at the time you press the switch, so you don't actually get the reverb on the note, you just get a strange drone noise.

Thanks for the tip!

8. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    Thanks for all the advise, I'm going to try a bypass loop with a switch when I get back home!

9. WhiteNinja

WhiteNinja

Jan 20, 2011
    Right, of course. It can't work because of the decay time of the Reverb. Since the freeze only holds a very very short note, it won't catch the Reverb decay. Logical.

That means you must have the Freeze in front of the Reverb. So yeah, the only way to do that is with the loop.

10. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    Hi, I just tried it with the bypass loop and switch, and it works, thanks for the advice, all I have to do know is practice switching between the loops, without spoiling the groove.

Thanks again everyone!

11. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    nice one! glad it worked out for you!

12. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Would you be able to get a sound clip of what this sounds like? I'm very curious and can't really hear it in my head

13. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    I'm working away at the moment, but I'll try and post something when I get back... not sure when that will be though.