Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EH hot tubes overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RS, Aug 4, 2002.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Any try this unit for bass? If so, what did you think?

2. dprives

dprives

Apr 22, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Anybody tried this yet? A few people have brought it up but it seems no one has tried it?

D

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey,

If you could hold out till Monday I'll have an answer for you. I've got a few different sets of tubes I'm gonna run thru it but as of late I'm hard pressed to find anything better than the EBS MultiDrive.

Here's what I've tried/used:

Fulltone Basstone- Great lows, not enough grit

Guyatone Metal Monster- Awesome, sick distortion, but sucks the lows right out

Woolly Mammoth- Not enough distortion, kept some lows

Ibanez Phathed Bass- Total garbage, good door stop, maybe...

EBS MultiDrive- Brutal distortion AND keeps all the lows

DOD FX56 American Metal- Good distortion & keeps most of the lows

Boss HM2 (Japan)- Great lows but cheesy distortion

DOD FX101 Grind- Garbage, worse than the Ibanez

Pro Co Deucetone Rat- Great distortion, NO low-end

Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer- Not enough distortion & no
    low end

Now before everyone rants & raves, these were my discoveries thru MY rig with MY bass. Your results may be different, so it's all trial & error + what's the best application for what you want & are doing.

later,
    Satan

4. dprives

dprives

Apr 22, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Sweet. Thanks for the run-down. Looking forward to your review.

D

5. bassochist

bassochist

Dec 28, 2002
    Earth
    my only disagreement is with the phathead opinion.

i really like the sound it gets, although, granted, it does kinda kill the lows a little.

still, for the money, it is well worth it.

perhaps it is just a matter of which amp/bass is used and settings used on the pedal...

dunno.

thats my 2 cents.

6. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hello All,

Still waiting for the "big brown truck"...

yours truly,
    Satan

PS: I tried a Prescription Depth Charge, total cheese & AM radioish static low-end, into the "J" file...

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I finally got to try out the Hot Tubes. It sounds very,very similar as the Big Muff. It keeps just about all the low-end & the distortion isn't bad. I swapped a set of NOS RCA Longplate 7025's into it & they made it a bit better. It comes with EH 12AX7's, which work good also.

My only gripe is if I turned up the gain or drive past 9:00 (1/4 way) the sound would get compressed & fall-off (get worse). I tried it with active & passive bass' & had the same results.

So, in conclusion, the Hot Tubes is worth giving a shot, it's a bit more than overdrive & a tad under distortion that keeps all the lows & has an edgy-gritty (Big Muff) sound.

later,
    Satan