Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EH Micro Synth vs. Deep Impact

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sundance, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Sundance

Sundance

Jul 24, 2004
    Does anyone have the experience with both of them to give an opinion? I know they say micro synth is harder to adjust during performances. Does it have presets at all?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes. I've used both.

EHX
    Pros: great sound
    Cons: tone sucker when not on, somewhat fragile for live use, no presets

Akai:
    Pros: great sounds, presets, sturdy construction, good bypass
    Cons: Not made anymore, so they can be tough and expensive to find

Anyone else think of any other relevant points?

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have owned both. I now only own the Deep Impact.

They are fairly different beasts. The EH microsynth is almost impossible to use live (settings are difficult to repeat) and it has major tone suck, but it pulls off the vintage 70s "flash gordon" synths fairly well and is very analogy in tone.

The Deep Impact is a little more versatile, has true bypass, and has 9 presets that you can alter in many ways. It sounds more digital, but it is also a little more funky. You can get tones out of it that the EH cannot get, though you can't get that real analogy tone the EH produces. The Deep impact also has a very easy interface.

4. Sundance

Sundance

Jul 24, 2004
    Actually prices on the Deep Impact can go lower than the EH MS, I'm watching one now on ebay for $150 (though it's in Britain, shipping would hurt), while the MS goes for $300 off musician's friend and is moderately rare on ebay, but goes for $100-$250 I'd guess. Though Deep Impact's are probably going to show up less and less as time goes on. Wish I'd been in the market for effects when they were less.

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    KB raised an important point I forgot to make. The Deep Impact is more versatile, while the EHX does that 70's analog synth vibe incredibly well.

I'd say from what I've seen the EHX goes used in the $150-180 range depending on condition. The Akai's WERE going for well over $200 on ebay, although I think they've come down a bit recently.

At the end of the day, if I were to recommend one then overall I'd recommend the Akai

6. Sundance

Sundance

Jul 24, 2004
    How do they compare in ability to adjust the smaller details of the sound? I'd assume the MS would be better because it has more bands, but how close does the Deep Impact come? Does it let you adjust the settings very finely? How much more subtle is the MS?

7. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    How about the deep impact vs Digitech Synth Wah? For instance, the Digitech has a terrific octivider. Does the Akai as well?

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There's really no comparison between the two, although they do both have great octaver features. The Digitech sounds just aren't in the same league as the Akai, plus the Digitech doesn't have presets and is less adjustable etc.

Don't get me wrong, for $80 or so new the Digitech is a great pedal. But I look at it more as an octaver with extras rather than a great synth pedal.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, the MS is more adjustable in the space it inhabits - but it's not as versatile as the Deep impact. For example, no matter how you move the sliders on the EHX you won't get an octaver.

10. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    one of the guitarists in my band is able to recreate the sounds he gets during live performances pretty easily (with the guitar micro synth). i guess you just have to get used to it or something.