Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EH Microsynth NOT SO HOT??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lowendgrumble, Sep 13, 2003.

1. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    I recently had the chance to borrow this pedal form a friend. Perhaps i had my hope too high, but i was not very impressed with this unit. What it did do was cool, but really very usable( not practical maybe) I 'm looking to create some bass sounds along the lines of Aphex twin and squarepusher, but i dont think that can be done with this unit. Maybe i'll try the deep impact, but if that doesn't work i cant (dont want to) afford going midi :meh:
    does anyone else feel sorta let down by this or other synth units??

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I owned one of these when they were first sold back in the 1980s. I was playing in a top 40 cover band and wanted to use it for synth bass tones.

It was useless, so I sold it for a fraction of what I paid for it. I should have kept it and waited for the prices to be where they are now :rolleyes:

Easiest way to get synth bass tones: get a synth.

3. alankroeger

alankroeger

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah I looked into those twice once in the eighties and last year I decided they are still a POS wimpy construction and limited usability try an Adrenalinn II. There are a lot of nice synth tones available with this device and other features too like really nice flexable amp modeling, 2.8 seconds of delay/echo, beat synched filtering and modulation, sequenced filtering and modulation, etc...
    http://www.rogerlinndesign.comgo through the samples there and see if you find anything you might like about it (I don't work for them but, I do own one and love it)

4. I luv mine for phat trippy synthed out tones, but it certainly has it's drawbacks and I agree with most of your complaints. It isn't the most bulletproof pedal but I mainly use mine in the studio and am programming a SB1 to use live. I'm gonna have to look more into the AdrenaLinn cuz it might just be my next gas-pain.

5. alankroeger

alankroeger

Sep 1, 2003
    Don't get me wrong I was interested in the EH Synth for the sounds it was capable of producing but, I dislike it for it's usability problems (setup one sound and thats it till you bend over and change it again) and it's awful construction quality (it is notoriously breakable and delicate). The sounds it is capable of achieving have always fascinated me but, nowadays we have DSP and multiple patches. I also have a G-Major and it is very nice for many other reasons but, if I could only have one I would choose the Adrenalinn it's an amazing unit. I think Roger Linn should send me some free stuff for all my praise of his device but, every users of this device had such absolute enthusiasm for this unit that it conviced me to get this device. I also have had a Boss GT-6 (not b) and I was very disappointed after a bit of exposure to it I found that it is too inflexable and you end up sounding very generic using it (it's a very good generic sound but, very boring and not very flexable you certainly won't be doing any sound design with it). There is one not so great aspect of the Adrenalinn it's MIDI implementation is almost useless.

(Another plug for the Roger Linn Adrenalinn)

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I had a EH Bass Microsynth for a while and it was just too much trouble. Too hard to repeat the exact same sounds and no saved memories and major tone sucking (needs a bypass). Cool vintage synth sound though. I sold it and went with a SB1 Deep Impact that I like much better. the SB1 is a little more modern sounding, but if you play with the settings you can get some really groovy tones, plus it has 9 saved eory locations and true-bypass and typically it is cheaper too.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    For the money, I think the best bet is actually Digitech's bass synth.

I've played the EH and hated it. The Boss' tracking is notoriously awful and both are overpriced.

You can get a Digitech for 79 bucks new and get a BOATLOAD of sounds from it. I swear by mine.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have the Digitech, it sits mostly on settings 4(?) and 7. 4 for the closing envelope synth, and 7 as octaver. The octaver settings tracks better than any other octave pedal I've tried.

WRT the EH. It obviously has it's issues - fragile, tone suck, non programmable. But it's great for home/studio work. Live, forget it. Half the sliders would probably break off in your bag on the way to the gig. The SB1 is built like a tank, or for something more programmable look for a Korg G5 bass synth floor box.

To me, the G5 is the best bass synth out there for combination of sounds,reliability,programmability.
    Next would be the Deep Impact, then the EH

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    While the digital pedals are cool for convenience and programablilty, none of them have that analog fatness that the EH has. Yeah, it's fragile. The bypass sucks. But the tone has yet to be beat by any other synth out there that I have tried. Does anybody else make an all analog synth pedal that is better? I'd love to try it, but I think everybody else's are digital.

I rackmount my EH, and run it through a switcher. No problems with broken faders or true bypass.