Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EH PolyChorus Pedal & Volume Loss

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Denimhorn, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Denimhorn

Denimhorn

Nov 25, 2002
    Ive seen the posts on here about the PolyChorus pedal and i didnt see anyone ask about the following issue. Does/has anyone else dealt with a volume loss from having one of these in their effect chain? Is there is a sensitivity control internally on this pedal? The EH Bass Synth has a control on the bottom.

Thanks to Basstriaxis on talkbass, i have changed my setup to be as follows:

Inline:
    Bass Guitar -> Envelope Filter -> EH Bass Synth -> Volume Pedal -> Fulltone Bass Drive

Effects Loop: (on a SWR SM900 head)
    EH PolyChorus.

With this setup im just getting so much less power (and tone) from my rig than if i just run my bass stright into my head.

Any ideas on what I can do about this?

Any help would rock.

Thanks

2. I have similar problem with my pedals, that's usual when they don't have a "true" bypass. To fix it up I put an EBS multicomp, it's a compressor with a lot of gain you can dial the right amount of volume without losing your bass sound, pretty helpful! At least, it is for me.
    I'm plannong to get an EHX black Finger to get also the good warmy tubey sound.:cool:
    If you can borrow a compressor to try it on your stuff, you could check it out to see if it's for you. You might like it, or not(I DO like it).That's just an idea.
    Hope this was helpful:)

3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Try a true bypass loop pedal.

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    LOOOPER.COM
    yes i know there are 3 o's, thats how he spells it.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think this may have more to do with impedance mismatch than bypass. Do you still experience a volume loss when the chorus is on? Is there a way to adjust the gain going out of the FX send, or return? Some amp companies put these on the back with the loop, others have the master gain and volume double as these controls. Try that if you can.

If you don't, I would suggest moving the chorus to last in line before the amp. Problem is that usually FX loops are sending line level, low impedance signals, and your pedal probably has a high impedance input. Certain pedals are just built like that, and won't work well in the loop. Others shine in a loop, and the only way to tell is to try it. You may want to try an impedance converter ($15) if you must have it in the loop. Hope this helps.