Eh... something about the "tuning-thingies"... (noob)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by onoffknapp, Jan 13, 2006.

1. onoffknapp

Jan 4, 2006
    (edit: I just found out it's one of these:

I really don't know what I'm asking about, so please use your imagination - I will try to explain as good as possible, though...

Anyway, one of my "tuning-thingies" at the head is of a special kind. It has the ordinary tuning-thingy, plus some kind of locking-mechanism that allows me to tune it in B, then flip the locking thingy, which also pulls the string slightly (adjustable how much), which allows me to tune it in C while locked.
    So, I can flip between B and C just by flipping a swith.

Did anyone understand that? :bag:

If you did, try this one:
    How the h*ll do I put on a string in one of those?!
    There's no pressure, i.e. the whole tuning-thingy bounces back and forth with the pulling of the string, so I have to hold and push the tuning-thingy while tuning, as well as straightening the string.
    Am I missing somethin with the lock-thingy, that makes it bounce back and forth, not staying steady? I think I've tried to pull in everything, screwing and locking, but it still just bounces around like a some bouncing thing.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I can't get the string on :bawl:
    I almost made it once, but then two other problems arose:
    1) The tuning-thingy was too small, so the string basically didn't fit - all of a sudden it just popped off
    2) At the bride, the string doesn't fit into the slide at the very end. Is it necessary to shove it in there (and should I actually force it in there?), or is it just as ok if it just rests on top of it, with the "ball" laying in it's socket?

But anyway, the main problem here is the floppiness of the tuning-thingy - I don't think that it'll magically get stable as soon as I get enough tension in the string, either, since I was very close last time... Did I break it..? :(
  2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    they are called tuning pegs or machine heads :) its easier to type than tuning thingy.

i dont have any hipshot tuners, but you could read the manual.

also i think you should post pictures, or tell us what bass you have
  3. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Did you get the bass used with the Xtender already on the bass?

The Hipshot website may have a manual if you don't.
  4. Sperzel began to offer something similar to Hipshot Bass Extenders, they call it "D-thing". If I don't recall it wrong, more to Hipshot ones, it lets you to drop to two different notes (e.g. first drop the E to Eb, than a second for D). Please correct me if I'm wrong..

I remember seeing Gotoh making something similar (no, I'm not talking about Hipshot x-tenders for Gotoh GB7). But I cannot remember where I've seen it (a google search returns Hipshot ones). Do you know something offered by Gotoh, or should I drink less coffee to stop seeing hallucination :D
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Has anyone tried the D-thing? I want to know if it's as easy to switch between tunings on the fly as it is with the large Hipshot Xtender keys...the Sperzels look a little hard to reach.