Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EH/Sovtech Green Small Stone Price Check

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rumzini, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yes I've searched.

The local shop has a used one, (of course). I've always heard of them here so i thought I'd give it a whirl...it bit dep...I NEED THIS PEDAL. So anyways they say it's from the late 60's to early 70's. Russian built, green box original. Anyone know what kind of price I should pay? They say $150...but i know they will come down for me.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll call a BS there on their part. Mike Matthews didn't start anything in Russia until around 1990, starting with the Red Army Overdrive, didn't become the green Big Muff until around 1992. Definately a '90's model.

What kind of condition? Any mods?

In great shape, they go around $70-80 give or take a few. With wear a bit lower.

3. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I dunno...this is the Small Stone. from what i've read thusfar...I take it that there was a ElectroHarmonix/Sovtech from the 70's at least.

Seems to be in ggod condition...no mods. built like a freakin tank!!!!

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IIRC there were no EHX pedals made in Russia until the early 90's.

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Was there an American line prior to 90? Must be they are confused as I.

6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    EH has made effects in the US for a LONG time, but only started making Russian versions in the early 90's as tplyons said.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, they were produced in the late 60's and early 70's in the US by Mike Matthews, until they went under in 1984, bought a Russian tube company and soon started an 1990 producing old EHX pedals in both Russia and USA, the Russians under the Sovtek name.

There was an American Electro-Harmonix, but Sovtek didn't come around until 1990 or 1991.

8. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Man I always thought that the Sovteks were the originals and way older... Why do they always look in such shabby shape? Just the Russian-made factor?

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Paint chips easier in 15 years than it takes to make stainless steel rust.

10. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Good point :)

11. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Allrighty then. I wouldn't call this thing in shabby shape...but! It does look like it came out of some tank in Cold War Russia! You could really put the hurtin on someone with this.

Anyways thanks for all the info. The thing sounds wonderful. I played it with a Dean Edge 4, through some old Peavey head sittin on a brand new Ampeg 810. I've played Phasers prior to this but man o man it just had a warmth and fullness to it that I havn't heard before. I feel it is a must have.

So maybe around $60 cuz the battery door is broken and held by tape and some of the paint chips?

Where could I direct them for pricing by the way since they feel it's from the 60's and worth the $150 I stated before?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Most people call "shenanigans" instead of "BS." It's a funnier word.

13. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I just picked up said Phaser for $50. I went in and BS'ed for a while about local events and then poped in the question..."So hey did you ever put a price on the Small Stone?" "Yeah we talked it over and decided if you asked about it again, we knew you liked and wanted it so I'll give it to ya for $50 out the door." "SOLD!!!"

Problem is gotta wait till Tuesday to play it on the big rig at the practice space.