1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EH Sovtek Big Muff Deluxe Review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 2010P, Dec 13, 2018.

1. 2010P

2010P Banned

May 13, 2017
    Well, as usual, Prymaxe kicked butt and had my pedal to my door in less than two weeks after I preordered it. I love those guys.

Lemme just get the main thing out of the way. It's a muff. It's a green Russian muff. So you should know what to expect tonewise, feelwise and use wise. But.........

It's pretty much the most perfect Muff I've ever played and that's because of its feature set. Basically it seems that EH has taken every possible useful Muff mods and stuffed them into this piece.

The blend is, as usual, amazing.

The Mids are incredibly useful and being able to use EXP on the mids is a powerful musical feature. Instant wah.

The tone wicker brings back in the top end zing and.....

The gate is amazing in that it does not seem to mess with your high end unless you have it cranked, and even then it doesn't affect the highs to any really noticeable degree.

I love how EH approached this pedal. It's almost as if they said "Ok boutique world. You think you're so badass? Well, how's this for you?" And then proceeded to cop all the boutiquey mods and put them in a much more affordable box.

Even the graphics kick ass.

There are a plethora of internal switches and knobs for buffer and mids sculpting.

EH, you scored big time on this one. I think you should approach all your future bass pedals like you did this. I can't see why there can't be a Hot Wax deluxe or using any of your platforms for the deluxe treatment. I'd love an overdrive with this feature set. Why limit it to just the Muff?

Total winner!!

speedball3, hintz, gregmon79 and 12 others like this.
  2. Nice review! I have mine being shipped from prymaxe right now.

The question I have is- Can the gate knob be used to make a gated fuzz?

2010P and JimboP like this.
  3. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Sound clips!

4. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have no idea. That's why I came to read your review. Plays like...?

2010P likes this.
  5. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Nice!

2010P likes this.
  6. 2010P

2010P Banned

May 13, 2017
    No. It is strictly a clamp on hiss between notes (which is quite considerable btw). Fuzz character stays the same.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    zapped777 and jazznrick like this.
  7. 2010P

2010P Banned

May 13, 2017
    Sorry, not set up to do sound clips. I assumed that most people know the muff sound on bass. Your best bet is to look at

Crystalman85 and jumbo_steelie like this.
  8. Damn that sounds awesome!

9. happycamper

happycamper Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Yeah i just got one of these as well (first new pedal ive ever got). I have no regrets so far. Blend, gate, mids switch. Sounds amazing in the bedroom and even better in a band setting (imo). If youre thinking about getting one, just do it. I dont think a lot of used ones will come up.

10. I received mine today and am loving it. Totally awesome sound that can hang with the boutiques. What a great deal!

jbybj and gregmon79 like this.
  11. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Very interesting! I didn't know there were internal trims that definitely adds some personalization options. This may be the go to Muff for those looking for the green muff tone.

I had to look up the manual and see exactly what the trims do.

From the manual:

DosiYanarchy likes this.
  12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Awesome demo...it sounds killer on bass. \m/

13. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    does the mid function when boosted give you enough booty to feel like you're stacking a muff on another overdrive?

14. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I need to get one of these bad boys.

jazznrick likes this.
  15. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So anymore feedback?? How about you @2010P ??

zapped777 likes this.
  16. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Well...add it to the list.

17. So I think it's time to get an expression pedal to go with my Sovtek Deluxe, Canyon, and Bass Mono Synth. I have no idea where to start. Any recommendations?

18. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    Moog EP3 has served me well.

jazznrick likes this.
  19. 2010P

2010P Banned

May 13, 2017
    Nothing new man. Still very impressed. The EXP takes it to a whole new level.

gregmon79 likes this.
  20. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018