Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eh, would this work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Money, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I have a peavey tnt...

I want to add a 2x10 cab to it.

I like a little distortion, LITTLE mind you...

Now, if I were to take the wire from my line out to ext. cab, run that through a distortion pedal before the 2x10, and just had a long chord, would that work?

It seems like it would to me, because the distortion would not interfere with the clean coming fromt the 1x15 of the TNT... so I could have one speaker running clean, and the other distorted...

Would that work? Or did I just succeed in confusing people other than myself?

2. DO NOT RUN A SPEAKER-LEVEL SIGNAL INTO A STOMPBOX.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    So I take it that is a negative?

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    What Pete said:

The signal coming from the amp to the speakers is powered. It has the "electricity" to run a speaker. The signal going from a guitar or bass does not have any power. A stompbox is made to handle that signal, with no power. If you put power through a stompbox, it would be bad.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    How bad?

Or....

What else could I do to achieve that 1/2 clean 1/2 slight distortion?

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh my god. If those people have not put it clear enough for you.

DO NOT DO IT. IT IS STUPID AND BAD.

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Very bad. As in... goodbye effectbox bad.

To get the half sound, get a distortion that has a knob that changes the effected/dry ratio. The Boss ODB-3 has a control for that, the "balance" control, to let you mix the signals. In a sense, it splits the signal into two. One of them is distorted, the other is clean. Both are then sent to the amp. That way, both a "wet" (effected) sound and a "dry" (clean) sound are heard.

8. Either use two amps, or I don't recommend this but you could use really really tiny speaker wire and turn it up really loud. That would distort it but you could also melt the wire and make a mess and burn up the cab.

I run distortion (overdrive) full time on stage. Alone in the PA it sounds poopy, but I put a DI right after the bass but before the pedals and then mic the cab. That seems to work very well.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I'll look into that...

Thanks.