Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tyler_The_Hate, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Tyler_The_Hate

Apr 9, 2005
    i said this in another forum as a "wat the hell" and someone said to post it as a thread.

how does anyone here actually think a band with 2 basses, everyone sings and NO guitars would sound (possibly a keyboardest if one can be found). maybe an electric and stand up bass if poosible just for novelties sake.

i have recorded multiple bass tracks at home on my own homemade equip[ment and it sounds fine.

serious answers only
    no and why?

my grammar sux tonite
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If it was done right it could work nicely.

Think about New Order where Pete Hook played most of his lines up the neck and were the main melodic instrumental component of the band's music...if you had one bass doing that kind of stuff, and the other one holding down the lower end it would be nice.
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Morphine had no guitars but only one bass and were awesome.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes or no. And why?
  5. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
  6. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Sounds great , why not ?
    All the new genres in music were invented because people broke the rules and wasn't afraid to try new stuff.
    Of course you need a keyboard player , because in the case of no guitar someone else will have to give the harmonics.
    And also sound wise the keyboard player wil give the mid and high frequencies in the sound spectrum of the band.

The other thing you'll have to do is to perfectly synchronize between the two basses lines and EQ in order to avoid frequencies screening and make them both sound clear and understandable.

Good luck.

7. crank one bass through a guv'nor or a big muff... set it with no so much bottom end, and then the other bass clean... maybe?
  8. trog

Nov 8, 2003
    I was jamming with another bassist a couple of weeks ago, and this is what we did. He did a rythmn/groove between frets 1-5, while I whined away like a wannabe guitarist up at the top (Through an army of fuzz and distortion pedals, of course)
  9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ned's Atomic Dustbin, but they also had guitars.
  10. Put one though a tube guitar amp with lots of gain....all the upper harmonics you'll ever need, and a guitar 4x12 will give you the midrange you'd be after. Plus, you could use a Whammy set to one oct up if you want to do that wheedly wheedly wheeee stuff.
  11. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I personally think it would sound like ass.
  12. Tyler_The_Hate

Apr 9, 2005
    most of the suggestions almost describe setting one bass to sound like a guitar. also i dont know where i can get some clips online so everyone could hear them. ive always just used one effect like a flanger and another clean to do what i want. or like one guy here said. i would play one high on the neck and the other low.

if i can get some of the stuff ive written out and re-record it i could probably put it up. maybe break out my electric drum kit and lay a simple drum beat behind it just so it wont sound like ass as one dude said too.

someone give me and idea where i can put something up with minimal effort and ill do it. but also dont let it stop any of you from trying it to.