Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Aug 29, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Have any of you used this particular service?

If so, what kind of experience(s) did you have?

It seems to have become a huge business, their ads are on just about every (network and cable) station, every four hours or so.

There must be a lot of people out there looking for love.... :)
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Close that page and go back to your woman! :spit:

brad cook
  3. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I can't stand those commercials with that so called doctor.
    I want to break a plate over his head.

Anyway haven't used it, but I'm willing to bet it's older, fat women, and young single mothers that make up most of the users.

I know there's a lot of young single mothers on myspace.
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I did their personality profile thing a while ago with my ex-wife. It revealed a number of rather amusing things:

1) It said the same things about both of us in a lot of areas despite the fact that we had complete different answers and outlooks on those subject. Canned answers FTW!

2) It was blatantly, flat out wrong in my case many times. It even went so far to say that I was a bright, outgoing person who was great with children. I'm a borderline sociopath who thinks children are a cancerous sore on the face of society.

3) We had personality profiles compatible for a lasting, lifetime relationship...way to call it guys! :)
  5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    You better hope your girl doesn't see this post! :p
  6. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    According to their ads, they use all these scientific parameters to determine how people match. Great, if you were trying to get computers to date. In real life though relationships are completely random. I've seen ones that ought to, by all reasonable factors, work out just disintegrate. At the same time, others that seem like trainwrecks about to happen work out fine. So yeah, relationships are apparently based on completely random and unpredictable factors. I guess you could say I subscribe to chaos theory in this matter...
  7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I actually tried it a few years ago and didn't match with anyone :bawl: I found my fiance through the whole (to quote the commercial) "picture and a paragraph" route. I actually wrote to her on two different sites..either it was fate or I was just a loser (thinking the latter) :)

I don't personally think you can fill out a personality profile and find the one person. I've seen plenty of people who are similar in personality and totally blow up. It's really just a matter of when the right person comes along, they will. They could even be someone you never expected to get along with.
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I haven't used eharmony, but in the fallout of a very serious break-up, a friend of mine(mentioned below) convinced me to give the internet dating thing a whack. From it, I have met a few girls, one of them I even 'dated' for a little while. All in all, it's been a fun experiment, and if nothing else, helped me regain my ego/confidence after sustaining through that break-up.

The whole 'using the internet to meet people' is actually starting to become acceptable these days. I say that's fine, when you consider the fact that there are millions of people on this bitch in virtual close proximity, which is to say, accessibility, it's kind of lame to be isolationist about it.

Of course, the dark side of it all is that there are scammers and creeps and stalkers and stuff that'd use such services and/or the internet in general to be creepy stalker scammers. For instance, a friend of mine recently encountered someone online who wanted to take her to a junkyard for a date. When you consider the fact that there are probably 100 horny guys for every 1 girl(doesn't even need to be an attractive girl in this case, but I'll bet it's more like 500:1 if the girl is at all attractive) on the internet, well... yea... I'm sure it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the weirdness of it.

Through talkbass, I have sustained communication with a handful of people via AIM, I would consider them my friends for the most part since I know, were I to ever show up in their town I'd be welcomed. Am I going to marry brendan? probably... but that's none of your business!

But, It's kind of a double edged sword I think, on the one hand, I think it's a good thing that people are using the internet to make friends and meet people and such simply because the internet is just there, everyone uses it, might as well make some good out of it, but on the other hand, the prevalence and acceptance of such services would seem to go against people actually going out to meet people.

In short, there is nothing wrong with the whole 'finding love' online thing(consider if I met some girl online and we went out to a concert that we were both planning on going to anyway, would it really be radically different if we bumped into each other at the concert and hit it off?). It just poses a few creepy/weird byproducts.

Anecdote time;
    A friend of mine(same friend from above)from High School recently got married to a man she met on They had only known each other for a year, got married on their 1-year anniversary. They're both 19.

A couple months ago I was at a show, and I overheard some kids talking about "my page" and "her page". This has happened more than once(people talking about their internet lives in real life)
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Of course, I can't help be snigger a little when I read this particular spamusement.

We've Located Several Horny Women in your area
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You're picking out the china, though.

I agree wholecloth with the Robot on the subject.

Heck, my mother and stepfather have been together for about 8 years now, and they just met via some chat room back in the day.
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

I'd say that teenager-young adult relationships are more or less chaos, because very often it is the case that people find other people that are totally 100% compatible with them and they have everything they need for a mutually loving and caring and harmonious relationship. The only problem... they're kids!(relatively speaking)

lack of experience + overall fickleness/immaturity devastates the best relationships and gives life to ones that by all accounts SHOULDN'T be working. Because people are operating more on temporary needs, and/or wants and/or ideas. Plus, they don't even really know who they are and what they are doing in life yet, so all this stuff is subject to change and heartbreak.

I could be wrong though, but I have seen dozens of relationships go from glory to demise in the past 5 years and I've noticed many recurring themes. Themes I don't see when observing older people relationships.

But 'relationships' are lame anyway. I'm much more a fan of casual dating and sex than I am 'relationships'.
  12. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I actually met my current girlfriend on myspace, completely by accident. I noticed she was into several of the same bands as me and started talking to her. Only later did I find out she lived about 15 minutes away.
  13. The basic problem with eHarmony, as I understand how it works, is people would just lie. Even if they didn't want to, they subconsciously would. craigslist has great personal ads. There's usually no picture, you can write as much as you want, and some of them are very honest. Like, you could fully entertain yourself just reading them.

Internet relationship-starting has become so common these days, that at least in San Francisco, there's no real stigma at all associated. And the pool of people using the services basically mirrors the population. Lots of losers & posers, some real catches.
  14. HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Ok, boredom has been ripping away at my insides and that, combined with "Free communication weekend" or whatever its called, convinced me to waste some time at eHarmony. After filling out many, many, many pages worth of survey I was greeted with this:

Congratulations Josh, your attempt to waste time at eHarmony was a complete success!:spit:
  15. eHarmony is kind of scam-ish

first of all, any business that sends out as much spam as they do is probably not on the level.

second, their survey basically weeds out most people who are not mindless average exploitable sheep, and will say they are "unable to match" you
  16. HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    :eek:That's the sweetest thing anyone's ever said about me!

Will you marry me?

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I met my wife on the internet before these type of websites were created. Our local TV station did a story on us since it was such big deal. It helped that one of the people who helped set us up worked at that TV station too.

18. Hahaha :p

Actually they probably could tell by your answers to their survey that you are more individualistic and unique and non-naive than the type they care to exploit.

Just do a Google search of eharmony scam, no need to even put it in quotes or anything.
  19. thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I met my wife through mutual friends back in the late 70's. She and I seemed to hit it off quite well, (Of course she was also feeling happy on the giant Sangria cooler she'd been sipping on) and I ended up asking her out and she agreed to go out. That's how it all began.

When we did decide to get married five years later, under the direction of the Catholic church to keep her family happy, we had to undergo their premarital counseling program. I also refused to convert to that particular faith, something that caused a bit of friction between her mother and I. The head priest told us that we had some compatibility issues that concerned them after we'd taken their test, but they agreed to marry us anyways. Well 25 years and change later we are still married in spite of the ' grave predictions' of some of her family and of course the local clergy of her church at the time. So I'd take these fancy dating services with their screening processes with a grain of salt as wel.