Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ehh... "smart" funk?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    A bit of a weird topic...

I like funk... the music... the energy... the groove.

Not so much the lyrics/singing. I think that's what stops me from listening to more funk, the lyrics are usually party lyrics. Nothing beyond the fact that they are in fact there to funk you and that is a fact.

I dig Sly and the Family Stone alot because the lyrics usually seem to be about coming out of a bad place and making the most of it. But I'd like something perhaps more profound or ambigious than that.

Funk Rock tends to be even worse. I like Fungo Mungo, but that is some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard. And no Joe Nerve, I don't think RHCP are much better ;) (Except in the later years, but they started unfunking).

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    What would I do without my cell phone?

4. Funkadelic/Parliament stuff has really smart, political lyrics. Check it out

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Ozomatli, much of it is in spanish, but still quite good.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    We want the funk, gotta have the funk?

I would say that is precisely the funk that Senor Till is trying to avoid.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Stevie Wonder :bassist:

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

uh... no :rolleyes: clearly he was referring to:

"make my funk the P funk, gots to get funked up"

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Okay, I think I can close this thread now.

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Me'Shell Ndegeocello.

12. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I've been trying to think of something witty to post in this thread . . . but haven't come up with anything.

But you guys are missing the point . . . that's all I can really say.

The occasional gutteral grunt are the only lyrics I need to hear in a funk tune, a catchy 1-liner is ok too. My favorite is John Gros, who usually has lots of lyrics, none of which I can understand even though I've been known to sing along . . .

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I know the point of funk is stupid feel good music... but I don't like stupid feel good music. I want some funk that is missing the point. Not really caring if that's cool or not...

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Jaco Pastorius big band.. WOM revisited. Quite funkay. I really dig what a lot of those cats did with those Jaco songs.

Heh, I'm a dumb funk.

15. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Ha ha ha. I concur, thats why my favorite funk usually has little to no lyrics. Check out some JB's "Food for Thought" or "Damn Right I'm Somebody" are great albums.

16. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Alan Evans has a really good funky kinda album. Most of the songs dont have lyrics, some have the chant type lyrics, like Do It Again, which pretty much just repeats that line, but there are several with great lyrics as well. Alan Evans is the drummer for Soulive, which also has some great instrumental funk, like MMW.

If you can find Soulive at the Bowry Ballroom with Reggie Watts on vocals, you'd prolly dig that too.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The obvious answer is to go for Jazz Funk with no lyrics - like Billy Cobham's album 'Stratus' has some great funky grooves that have been sampled many times, but is all-instrumental - lots of others in the same genre - like Weather Report - "Cucumber Slumber" is very funky ...etc etc.

I have a couple of other reccommendations - Average White Band - very funky and decent lyrics!

Incognito - very funky and sophisticated!! :cool:

18. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    "I know the point of funk is stupid feel-good music" . . . a bold statement coming from a metalhead in rural Pennsylvania . . .

19. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ummm, Stevie really isn't a funk player...he's more R & B (not to say he isn't funky, though)