1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHHRRRRRR" THE GROUNDHOGS!!! Why aren't they famous?!?!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  2. Billyjoe3969

Billyjoe3969

Nov 4, 2002
    they rock, good stuff

3. Wierd, I just heard them not 3 days ago. I heard one song, Cherry Red, and was hooked. I remember listening to that song and thinking that must have influenced some early stoner bands. Good stuff.

4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    synchronicity-- I was just today listening to Thank Christ for the Bomb..... One heckuva band:cool:

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Great band, but the answer to your question:

1. their singing was weak

2. their songwriting was weak

You can usually get by with lousy songs if the singer is fantastic (example: All Right Now by Free, did Paul write the words when he was still in kindergarden?) or lousy singing with fantastic songs (Dylan, Lou Reed, Neil Young).

Even though I've owned a number of their LPs since the 70s, I find that every one of them has 2-3 killer tracks and a lot of filler. "Hogwash" is probably the best of them in that respect, the bass tone on that one is killer too...sounds like he's using barbed wire for strings :help:

At their best, they merged a quirky blues feel with mellotron, synths and pulverizing volume, sort of like Black Sabbath playing Pink Floyd covers. Good soundtrack for rolling fatties...:hyper:

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    But at the same time, I've never heard of them until a few days ago. Blue Cheer fits almost the exact same bill, great band, weak singing, weak songwriting, but they are fairly well known.

Such a cool vibe.