1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHX 2880 Looper for live applications?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wdinc01, Apr 3, 2009.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm looking into getting a more advanced looper, and have been eyeing the 2880. Of course the price is a little bit of a drawback, but it still seems like it has great features.

But what I'm more worried about is whether or not this thing will work well for live, on the fly looping, as that's really what I want to do. I'd like to do solo bass shows where I loop something, or maybe several parts, and play on top of it.

Has anyone ever had the opportunity to try one out in a similar situation? Or at least, just trying to loop on the fly? I'm sure it'd be easier with the foot switch, but I still can't really find a solid opinion on the research that I've done.

2. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    It works great for what you want. The foot switch is a must though. The awesome thing is that you can mix up to four loops together, bring them in and out etc. Each channel is independent other than loop time and length. So you can over dub, delete, rewrite on the fly with out effecting other channels. The controls are very intuitive. The midi clock in is also quite handy.

3. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    That's good to know. Although honestly, I would like to be able to have different loop lengths/times going on, but its not difficult to get around that. I figure if worse comes to worse, I can always sell it when the new Boomerang comes out. I just didn't want to get something that wouldn't work at all.

4. beyondthe48

beyondthe48 Guest

Apr 29, 2007
    unless of course you hit the wrong footswitch and the looping just stops dead. you have to hit 3 buttons to record and playback a loop.

new loop, record, playback. its a little confusing actually, takes some practice, must read the manual

i use it on my solo project here: www.myspace.com/jonscapes

5. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks for that. Definitely interesting stuff. Any videos of you using the 2880?

Also, how easy is it to erase something? Looking at the footswitch, I can see buttons to record and play and switch tracks, and to do octave (for some reason...), but nothing on erasing. I figure if I'm doing a whole set of just me and the looper, I would need to be able to start fresh quickly. I also want to be able to undo parts, or say the last part I just recorded.

6. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    When you have the punch in button on it over writes the track instead of overdubbing.

7. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    So I take it that its something I would need the actual looper in front of me to accomplish, and not just the footswitch, then?

8. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    theres a guy selling one of these in the accesories forum w/ the footswitch for a goodprice. When I was considering buying one of these I was gonna put the main looper on a music stand and the foot controller on the ground.

9. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    man....this ehx pedal scares me! its hugeeeeee

10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    There's meant to be a new version if the Boomerang looper coming out soon, definitely worth a look, the older ones were supposedly among the best.

11. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah I know. I just don't know when its supposed to come out, and I'm really itching for a looper pedal. I figured if I decided I wanted the Boomerang more, I could just sell the 2880.