1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX Bass Balls troubleshooting help, if this is the right room?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by keepitsavage, Mar 20, 2010.

1. keepitsavage

keepitsavage

Mar 20, 2010
    the LED goes on and off correctly when switched, and when the effect is disengaged the input bypasses to the amp fine, but when i turn it on I can barely hear the bass and effect, talking EXTREMELY quiet, when the amp's at quite a healthy volume.

seems like this should be a relatively easy problem to pinpoint, i think, maybe?

2. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    GAH! Please ignore, my reading comprehension sux.

3. Unfortunately no.

The effect bypassing properly is standard among effects without a buffered bypass.

The only obvious thing I can think of is to verify that your battery is solid. Other than that it's probably going to be a pretty difficult troubleshoot.

4. Wud

Wud

Apr 11, 2009
    Has somebody done something silly with the internal filter trim pots.

Open it up and have a fiddle

5. keepitsavage

keepitsavage

Mar 20, 2010
    ya guess i'll have to check it out again, it was working fine right before it went out on me though, so I think the chances of something silly having been done inside is minimal. I did have a Fulltone Bassdrive hooked up in front of it when it went, which I initially thought may have been the cause, like if I had switched it to comp/cut mode it may've overloaded something in the bass balls?

6. Running too hot of a signal can make the filter spike so bad that it thins out the rest of the tone.

7. keepitsavage

keepitsavage

Mar 20, 2010
    ..So in the case of the filter spiking so bad that it thins out the rest of the tone, what would I need to change/replace?

8. I was unclear, sorry about that. When you run too hot of a signal, the filter spikes really high, which means that a narrow frequency band is allowed to pass HOT, but the rest of the sound is filtered out. This results in a perceived thinning of your tone.

Assuming nothing is actually wrong with your pedal, the way to alleviate this is to

A) Turn down your sensitivity,
    B) Turn down the trimpots to a level where the sensitivity knob is more useful, or
    C) Turn down your bass so it isn't delivering such a hot signal.

If none of these fixes work, then the pedal may actually need parts replaced, but I wouldn't know where to begin in that troubleshooting department.

9. don't think its that,

i'd open it up check for loose wires, if nothing is loose get out the magnifying glass and check the solder traces to make sure there are no breaks!

10. keepitsavage

keepitsavage

Mar 20, 2010
    thanks yos

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020