1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHX Bass Big Muff Pi vs. Prescription Depth Charge

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass_lord_mutha, Jan 21, 2012.

Bass Big Muff or Depth Charge?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2012.
  1. BBM

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. Depth Charge

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  1. So I've been using an EHX Bass Big Muff for a few years and absolutely love it, but I've been hearing some demos of the Prescription Depth Charge and that's a great sounding fuzz pedal as well though I've not seen or heard one in person, and I may fork over the dough to get one to compare with the BBM before too long. In the meantime, I just want to get the opinions of the noble legions of TBers on these pedals, what makes one better than the other, etc.

And go!!

2. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I owned a Bass Muff in the past and that's a great pedal, particularly for the price.

I tried the Depth Charge in a store and the pedal is very very agressive, buzzy, abrasive and harsh sounding. If it it's the tone you're looking for that might be fantastic but be warned this is not your kitchen variety fuzz. It's pretty extreme, IMHO.

3. Cool, thanks for the info!

4. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    The Depth Charge can be out of control if you are playing with a cab that has a horn. I had a keyboardist threaten to quit once after standing next to it for a practice.

5. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Also let it be noted that although I voted PE out of your choices, they do not place nice with daisy chains.

6. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I would vote swollen pickle but its not listed... best fuzz on bass. a close second is older black/green russian big muffs.

7. That bad huh? I do play with a decent amount of treble and my cabs' horns about 1/3 of the way up.

Hmmm, I wonder why. That wouldn't work out well for me since I have a good-sized effects arsenal that I use.

I'll have to check the Swollen Pickle out, if not for the fuzz, then for the name, lol.

We'll call that one a write-in vote :D

8. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Mine seems too.

9. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Actually, allow me to rephrase. On a battery or a Voodoo Labs, it's whisper quiet. However, if I use my Rocktron DC On Tap in a pinch, it whistles like a songbird!

10. I use a BBE Supacharger. I may just pick one up on the classified sometime and try it out. Now I'm interested in the Swollen Pickle also. Decisions, decisions, hehe.