ehx bass clone pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kgrave, Jul 19, 2019.

1. kgrave

kgrave

Jan 3, 2015
    i read on youtube that some ehx pedals lose volume after a period of time.
    i think i'm experiencing this with my ehx bass clone.i run it off several power supplies and have changed the battery but it still has a dull sound even when the knobs are cranked to the highest level.
    has anyone else experienced this problem with ehx pedals?if so what's a quick fix to bring up the sound level?

Bassmike62 likes this.
  2. Hi! It won’t help but... I use a fair amount of ehx pedals including the bass clone (which I bought from the first batch of bass clones that hit my local retailer) and none went quieter or dull over time. I have ehx pedals that are over 15 years old now and none have developed volume issues over time.

Are you sure your cables are ok? Active bass battery is fine? Amp tubes?

Bassmike62 likes this.
  3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

I've had various EHX pedals in the past and got the Bass Clone a few months ago. Never experienced the problem you're indicating for the ones I owned for a longer period, but just before getting the Bass Clone I bought a Neo Clone that I had to return because it didn't always engage properly. Maybe your unit had a latent defect ?

4. kgrave

kgrave

Jan 3, 2015
    if the pedal has a trimpot in it.that could turn up the level of the pedal by just turning it.but where is the trim pot located at on the circuit board and what does it look like?
    allmy chords and amp.work fine.

5. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Unless it's battery failure, I find the concept that a pedal loses volume over time hard to believe.

jw23mind likes this.
  6. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Jacks can both wear out from use or their contacts oxidize from non-use. Try inserting plug a few times to break oxidation. If that doesn't work try bending the contacts if you can access them.

7. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    Trim pots in a Chorus pedal usually just adjust the bias of the input, which will affect the depth/intensity of the effect. I don't think they'd have one for volume. I could be wrong, but if you reset the factory set bias, you might not ever get it back to the stock sound.

I doubt this is from oxidation. The bass clone has been out for how long? Not long enough for oxidation to be a problem. I have ancient ehx pedals that work just fine. You likely have a defective unit. Perhaps a cold solder? If you have the receipt or valid warranty, I'd replace it.

Don't know where you read that info about EHX pedals losing volume over time. If it does, the pedal is faulty. Someone probably misunderstood that QC issues exist. I have never had an EHX pedal fail on me.

I have experienced this 3 times with an MXR Bass pedals though (2 comps, and an overrated chorus). I liked them, but after two exchanges at the store I gave up on them and I doubt I'll own any of their bass series again.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    SunnBass likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021