Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EHX Bass Micro Ssynth vs Akai SB1 Deep Impact

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by seaKamp, Oct 11, 2005.

1. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Hi all. I'm having a rough time deciding which synth to get. I currently own a Boss SYB-3 and I am less than pleased with it. There are some cool sounds I can coax out of the pedal but the effect isn't held onto long enough. This has turned me towards a search for a new synth pedal.

From what I have gathered on these boards the two that get the most press would be the EHX Bass Micro Synth and the Akai Deep Impact. I'd really like to hear an opinion on the two pedals from someone who has owned both of them but even if you have owned one of em or tried one of em out I'd love to hear what you have to think about them. Anything that would help me decide between the two pedals or at least some info on one of them would greatly help.

THANKS! :bassist:

2. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I've jsut tried the EH...
    Good synth, but it's a little too fuzzy for my tastes... and I guess it'd be REALLY hard to set it in a live situation...
    Anyway, the sound is good... it IS good...
    I was thinking about putting an overdrive before it...
    uhm... I should go in a store and try this combo out... :D

3. I have both. They each have their uses.

Deep Impact is a breeze to set, and you can change sounds to something completely different quickly and on the fly.

Microsynth is really tweakable but takes some fiddling before you get a sound you're 100% happy with - so no good for on the fly stuff.

The Akai can rip a few sounds that the microsynth has no chance of copying and vice versa.

4. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I can only offer some experience with the EH Bass Micro Synth.

To me, it has some pretty insane possibilities and it is LOUD and OBNOXIOUS. I find it to be one of the most customizable pedals out there, however, you have to realize that you are paying about $300 for ONE EFFECT. Belive me, your guitarist will not want you changing settings between songs...

You have to adjust your settings each time to make sure everything is in the right spot...

One thing is for sure, get a newer model as they are true bypass, which will save you a lot of trouble. I had to order a Loooper pedal for mine as it was not true bypass and is a TONE SUCKER when turned off.

So, I'll be honest here. It is one of the coolest sounding effects out there. However, I use it for one song. ONE SONG. Is one song worth $300? Depends how bad you want no one else to have your EXACT sound, I guess...

Anyway, good luck with whichever you purchase.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  6. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I wander... does the guys at Akai ever check eBay?!
    Don't they see how high are the pricess for the SB-1 going?!
    WHY don't they sell it anymore?
    bah...

7. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
  8. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Exactly...Surely a Re-Issue is in order?

9. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Dunno...
    I sent an e-mail to the Akai once...
    They answered by saying:"If a reissue will be made, you'll find news on the home-page..." :scowl:

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'd say that this is a pretty accurate assessment.

11. Akai has a long history of offering some really cool stuff and then abandoning it just as it catches on. They have done this in both pro audio and also for home electronics fo so long that I am reluctant to ever buy Akai. That said I am a proud and happy owner and user of the Deep Impact and the UniBass.

12. One reason would be because that would upset the supply/demand apple cart and the price of both new and used units would plummet.

Besides, what good is owning one if you can't taunt your bass playing friends about it!

I note that the price of Headrush pedals has dropped dramatically over recent months. If you're thinking about buying one, don't delay! (Pun intended!)

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The pedals weren't profitable when they were in production so they stopped making them. Maybe they didn't sell or didn't bring enough money per unit sold. Akai could care less about the effect of a reissue on the price of an old unit.

I collect vintage Smith and Wesson revolvers. The biggest flops back in the day command the highest prices because

a) Production numbers were small (they didn't sell well)
    b) Of the few numbers that sold, even fewer are around today.
    c) S&W won't reissue because, well, nobody wanted them back then.

This is the same trend for the old Akais.

14. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Akai really does need to rethink their marketing. I have noticed though that a lot more akai gear turns up in the UK, and I think I said this in another thread, that may be due to the amount of bands coming out of the UK that experimented with electronics and synth stuff.

Personally I dont think they will reissue it. If they were ever to do it, it would be right now, given that bassists like Wolstenholme for Muse are putting out sounds with the Deep Impact that people recognise.

When zzounds or MF or whoever it was that sold that quantity of NOS for what was is.. $70 US?.. they displayed an utter lack of knowledge of the market. If they had delivered to Australia I would have bought 10, money back easy.

15. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Well, I just picked up a Deep Impact last night and it is sitting in front of me. I read the manual and set everything at the factory presets before I played anything. What I am able to compare this synth to is the Boss SYB-3. There is absolutely no comparison. Not even close. It is like comparing the Flintstones car to a Ferrari.

Not only does the Deep Impact come with 9 different preset sounds, but you can change 7 parameters on each of those presets. On top of that you get 9 storage spots for choosing whatever preset and parameter configuration you would like to keep. ON TOP OF THAT... every preset is useful IMO. It will really be difficult for me to decide which 9 sounds I am going to save. I have used this pedal for about 30 minutes just noodling around and exploring some of the sounds I can coax out of this pedal. I'm just blown away by what I will be able to create with this pedal.

I still haven't tried out the EHX bass micro synth, I don't even think I need to. I'm sure you can get some great sounds out of that unit. However, the fact that this has 9 presets and would be easily adjustable live is enough to have me sold on the Deep Impact. If you are really looking for a quality synth this is it. For the extra cash compared to the EHX pedal it is completely worth it just because of its flexibility in a live setting. I'm in love and I've only know it for 30 min. If you need a synth and can afford this pedal GET ONE!!! If you need a synth and can't afford this pedal SELL SOMETHING AND GET ONE!!! :cool:

16. Sweets

Sweets

Aug 2, 2005
    How much did a Deep Impact retail for when it was available?

17. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I heard it was around $100 or so..I wish I played bass then :p

18. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    around $170 initially, and then they got blown out for $99 later

19. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Then Musicians Friend came up with a bunch out of no where and sold them for $129 I think. I bought one! :hyper: I almost bought the entire stock but I was worried that is was a reissue and I would take a beating on the purchase. I'm still bummed about that missed opportunity.