1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHX Bass Micro Synth : Old vs. new

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Inconnu, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Is there any difference between the sound of the older bigger Bass Micro Synth and the new XO style pedals? I know there's differences between some older and XO/Nano version with other pedals, but what about that one?

2. yes there are a few differences, the two biggest being the switching and the power supply.

-The new XO version has true bypass switching, the older version does not.

-The new XO version will run off of any isolated 9v power supply (note: not a daisy chain), whereas the older version needed a special (24v?) wall wart power adapter

Other than the obvious differences in the enclosure (i think the new one is a bit smaller), I believe they sound and function nearly identiacally.

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    They do sound different. The old one has a more fatter feel whereas the xo lacks that. The slider positions are different as well.

Izzot likes this.
  4. listen to him ^

5. jaffabass

jaffabass

Mar 28, 2002
    I don't know if there are any differences in the synth sound between the new and old but I can say that the bypass on the old version is awful. I remember modding mine for true bypass because without it the clean sound was horribly distorted and compressed.

The 24v power supply on the old version is also a bit of a bummer cos if you are anything like me you will lose the PS OR you accidentally fry a 9v pedal with it.

But even after these grumbles, it is a great sounding pedal and I love mine.

6. Agreeing with Ryan they are different beasties soundwise.

There is a phatness to the NYC version that the XO will never have due to the lower voltage.
    The XO version does track a little better, and there is a real advantage to the smaller size.

7. From what I read from you people, it's pretty much either 4 quarters or a dollar as we say around here (meaning it's a little different, but ends up being equal).