ehx bass micro synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Sep 1, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    anyoen listen to JMJ's sample on the site. im floored, i want one. i know he used 2 synths or rather two tracks for that, but might anyone know any settings?

would be a worthwhile invetment? i mean, i love the sound of it, and i think i could find practical uses, but... well. someone justify it for me.
  2. justify it? Doesn't that sound sample do it for you?

Ok, some ideas that might help;

- just about every effect-loving bass player I know wants one
    - I sold my Silicon Graphics quad processor at a bargain so I could get one
    - It scares my cats
    - It pisses off the neighbours
    - It might one day destroy my speaker cabinets (and this is definitely a positive thing if only for the "holy crud" moment immediately afterwards!)
    - it's versatile and cool looking

You'll find it quite easy to use and given time (and the money to buy them in the first place) you'd have no trouble reproducing that sound.

I plan to mod mine so I can have an expression pedal on the stop frequency. I also love hooking up my tremolo pedal and landing the alien space ships! Hell on the old speakers though, just be warned!
  3. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

sold, the "oh crud" moment does it. well time to start saving.
  4. Me and my buddy are planning on that very project for mine. I'd like one for the trigger and square wave sliders. Any links or leads?
  5. I've build one myself........

Was a very long build. Had no need for it a that time so I build it slowly.

Now I can't live without it.
  6. it should just be a case of finding an appropriate exp pedal (with the right value pot in it would be a bonuse) and whipping out the old slider pot and wiring in place a jack socket. Of course then the device may not work at all unless you have the exp pedal plugged in.

I haven't investigated this at all at this stage, so I'm not even sure there's space in the enclosure for any more jack sockets!

going here would be a good start;
  7. Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    I'm still teetering on the edge of buying one. I need to know if the square wave is phat sounding fuzz though...anyone want to answer this? It would be of great help.
  8. Let me tell you, i had a boss bass overdrive, after i got the ehx mycrosynth i sold it, it does all my distortion (actually fuzz), it's great just as a dfuzz pedal. because off the extra features such as the sub octave and octave, and you can get it awesome synhts (what is made for) playing with the sweepimg section
  9. "phat sounding fuzz" is an understatement. Think V8 chainsaw running on av-gas and you're getting close.
  10. The square wave oscilator is the oposite of phat. It is harsh and edgy, by itself. All you have to do though is dial in a bit of the "dry" bass signal and the sub octave oscilator and you have PHAT. Infact the whole trick to dialing in whatver tone you want out of this pedal is the balancing of the 4 oscilators.
    Sub octave
    Guitar "dry"
    Square wav

In reality all of the oscilators generate levels of fuzz of varying degrees. Each incremental movement of each of these 4 oscilators will affect the tone largely.
    Typically I actually use the Square Wav oscilator the least (measured by amount in the mix) but it is probably my favorite thing to tweak, wich is why an expression pedal would be so great.

My tips, tricks or observations so far.

Remeber the "trigger" slider is just the threshold for the filter section (wich comes after the oscilator section). when faded all the way down the filter won't trigger, efectively making the unit "just" a fuzz with attck control.

The "stop frequency" slider is a great way to adjust the "EQ" of your Fuzz.

I rarely use the "attack delay", which is equivilant, I believe, to a "slow gear" pedal. But this slider is a good way to make the bass do volume "swells".

Basically the microsynth is 4 effects in one...

A fuzz box .
    An octaver.
    A "slow gear" type attack delay
    a sweeping filter.

But because they all work so well in unison it is much more than the sum of its components.

Just my 2 cents, which is roughly 1.5 cents US
  11. Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Thanks for the more than helpful advice. I still hear it can be quite noisy though, any truth in this?
  12. well, like I said, every oscilator does generate some level of fuzz including the dry one, but this is analog love in my opinion. It's not like a hiss but more of a lo-fi warmth. Theres more sound samples on