EHX Bass Microsynth live

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bob C, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Just about every review or thread mentioning the EHX BMS says that since the controls are touchy and there are no presets, it can be a pain to use in a live setting.

However, I know there are a lot of people here who DO use them live. So, my question is HOW do you utilize them? Tape? Markers? Set & forget? Alternate between the BMS and a dozen other pedals?

You get the idea. Does anyone do numerous manual in-between-songs adjustments with their Microsynth at their gigs? If so, how hard is it? Or do you have a special memory system for optimizing settings on the fly?

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    When I had mine, I used three settings. I printed them out and attached the printout to my board...Eventually, I just memorized the settings (even the settings that weren't exactly on a number).

3. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    rratajski,

Thanks. That's good to know. How many songs (per night) did you use the BMS on? In other words, how much mileage did you get out of those three settings?

4. Honestly, I just look at the sliders and know around where they should go for the sound I want. I wish it was more glamorous than that.

5. +1. After messing around on one for a while uyou just know how to get the sounds you want. It isn't a hassle at all.

6. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    I used three settings total on three songs total. I didn't change settings mid-song though...

7. basically, once you get the idea of of the pedal functions and how each slider effects the overall tone, you can predict what sounds will occur when you change settings. Although it can be a bit sensitive, the learning curve isnt that big. Its kinda like riding a bike..once you've learnt how you wont forget.

8. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Actually, that's what I was hoping to hear. So often, people say it's impossible to duplicate a sound once you so much as breathe on one of the sliders. That kind of talk is rather discouraging.

9. Well, I have heard that particular criticism more with the new XO BMS. I have the older one (modded for true bypass and bypass status LED)

10. Pretty much +1 to everything. Once you get it, you get it. Until then it is a bit of a hunt to find what you heard/ remembered.

11. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    I've owned both versions and the xo is more touchy but once you learn what you need for your settings, you're good to go.

12. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Why is it always such a surprise to people that bass players how to use their gear properly?

This pedal is dead simple. Sliders do the same thing as knobs. The tactile difference is merely an issue of sensory perception. BMS users overcome the obstacle quickly.

13. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I don't think sliders vs knobs is the issue. There are more parameters than say, your basic fuzz box. And people keep saying that if one setting is a tad off, the interaction with the other levels will yield a totally different sound. If this isn't the case, then to that I say "Yay".

14. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I did this too.

15. The sliders that are going to really affect the sound are the filter sliders. There are a few places where a slight adjustment will let almost all of one of the voices through, or cut all of another voice off. Also the trigger when set improperly will never trigger the sweep. When this happens the sound will reflect the stop frequency only. Hope this is helpful.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021