1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX Bass Microsynth Problem.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NewLaw83, May 15, 2011.

1. NewLaw83

NewLaw83

Jun 26, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Hey everyone, Last week I finally did the jump and bought a new EHX Bass Microsynth XO. Im currently not running any other pedal, though hopefully not for long. So my problem is whenever I play a low F or below on my E string the effect sounds terrible. It gets worse if i play drop D. I want to know if anyone has dealt with this problem because i plan on tuning my bass BEAD really soon. Is this just "tracking" issues or is my 18v active bass too much for the BMS to handle? I also adjusted the Trim setting which helped a little. :confused::help:

And yes I tried searching and found nothing... so I apologize if Im a repeat offender.

2. I use the Microsynth throughout a couple of my songs tuned to drop D, and I play the low D with no problems. Do you have the octave down slider cranked up? That could be the problem. An octave down from that note is ridiculously low, and the BMS is gonna have trouble tracking it, causing it to bounce around. If it did track it properly, it wouldn't even be an audible note.

3. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    If you are talking about the octave down warbling, then, yes, that is a tracking issue inherent to all analogue octave dividers.

Edit: bigchief'd!

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    On your "E" string, the A should be about the lowest the octave down should track.

More info, please! :)

5. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    i have the old BMS with the 24 vdc power supply. First of all, even when bypassed it adds several db of gain to my signal which makes it difficult to manage in my signal chain. Secondly as far as playing low notes: the previous poster is right about that octave down slider. It doesn't take much to get lower frequencies than your speakers can effieciently deal with. Mine sounds best when i'm playing higher than the 7th fret, and i wouldn't dream of drop tuning or playing a 5string (or BEAD) with it. at least not with the more common settings used with the pedal.

6. NewLaw83

NewLaw83

Jun 26, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Yes it sounds like warbling! It happens right when I pluck the note and for 1 second/ 1.5 seconds after then it works. Yes I also brought down the sub octave slider it still does it unfortunately thanks for the quick replies everyone!

7. Is the pitch of the note warbling, or is the filter re-triggering (should sound like a bubbling/gargling sound)? If it's the former, turn the octave down all the way down. If it's the latter, turn the trigger slider down. Also, there is an input gain trimpot that can also be adjusted to further tweak this.

8. NewLaw83

NewLaw83

Jun 26, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Yeah I believe the older BMS was not a "true Bypass" so I can see that affect your signal. It sounds great with all notes from F# and above that.

9. NewLaw83

NewLaw83

Jun 26, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Im currently away from my BMS but ill check it again when I get back home. I did mess with my trimpot a ton already it helped a little. I will let everyone know what my results are. I even remember turning my bass knob way down on my on board preamp and it still didnt help.

10. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The newer BMS doesn't cope well with low notes, it tends to distort. You don't get this with the older 24v model.

But TBH you're never going to get the octave -1 voice tracking a low E, never mind a drop D. The best you can hope for is the open A to track OK, but even that will be risky on long notes.

11. NewLaw83

NewLaw83

Jun 26, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Well I feel like an idiot... it was the trigger slider. I didn't realize how sensitive it is. It was set way to high. I thought I messed with enough but I guess I didn't. The low notes sound so much better. I had the wrong idea about what the trigger was(even though I read the manual). Sorry for the newbieness:rolleyes: again thanks for the help guys very much appreciated!