EHX Bass Preacher causing volume reduction?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Eedwards7891, Feb 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Eedwards7891

Eedwards7891

Dec 11, 2017
    I' m running an epiphone thunderbird (passive), in to a EHX Bass Preacher, running into a EHX Bass big muff pi deluxe, running in to the input of a Fender Rumble 500w combo, which is chained to a GK 1x15 Goldline.

Tonight was the first night we tried running the compressor and the Big Muff together . For whatever reason, we could NOT get the same kinds of volume levels we were getting prior to the pedals . I can't figure out why .

(Side note, I heard intermittent crackling through something, and I'm pretty sure I nailed it down to a bad cable going from the bass to the compressor, and I realize that could be the problem).

Pedals have fresh batteries.

The compressor settings are volume at 11 o clock and sustain at 11 o clock , fast attack .

The big muff settings are volume at 1230, blend at 11, tone at 2, sustain at 2, noise gate at 7 ( barely engaged), high pass at 2 (we tried multiple settings ), and the low pass was at 10 (also tried multiple settings .

We dial in a clean tone on my amp, then added the effects, tweaked them at lower volume, then added volume . It still didn't achieve decent volumes without cranking the pre gain and master to 1-2 o clock .

Picture is attached for the settings .

Any and all help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Try a slow attack and less compression.

Eedwards7891 likes this.
  3. Eedwards7891

Eedwards7891

Dec 11, 2017

Would running it the way I was cause a steady reduction of overall volume ? Thank you for your time

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Eedwards7891 likes this.
  5. The more you’re compressing, the more make up gain you’ll need to apply to get you back to unity.

Eedwards7891 likes this.
  6. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    It is not uncommon for a compressor to slightly decrease your volume as the compressing action limits the extreme peaks. The way our brain works interprets sounds with greater pitch variations as louder regardless of the actual dB. Usually compressors have a gain stage to make up for this loss but on the simpler models you just get the compressor.

Eedwards7891 likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021