EHX Bass Soul Food vs Way Huge Pork and Pickle

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by toomuchstraw, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Hey everyone, just ordered a P&P Smalls a few days ago off of Ebay (comes in the mail tomorrow) but I just found out that a lot of you have had issues with clipping.

I'm thinking that if I have similar issues and don't get a tone I like out of it, then maybe I should sell it again and get the Bass Soul Food pedal.

What are the biggest differences between these pedals and which do you think would be best for a light overdrive to compliment my Zoom B3's EQ, chorus, and Bassdrive effects? Is there anyone who prefers the P&P over the EHX? I also have an MXR M87 arriving soon if that makes a difference.

2. This will be my first ever pedal besides my Zoom so I'm not really sure what I'm looking for!

3. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    On the Pork side, when blending in the clean, the low notes can kind of "fart out", and is noticeable compared to the driven signal it's blended with.

It's less of an issue with most of my basses, but my L-2000, which I typically run in active mode, makes it fart out quite a bit.
    I've also noticed it gets worse when running the clean tone below noon.

Now, when using the Pickle side, it's pretty much a non-issue, as there's so much more gain/saturation.

Additionally, the P&P can be run at higher voltages for more headroom. 12V is totally fine. I've tried 18V as well, without frying the pedal.

Hope this helps.

toomuchstraw likes this.
  4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, the P&P is leaps and bounds better than the bass soul food.

maplebar, mdalamond, Lesfunk and 2 others like this.
  5. That definitely helps! I have passive pickups so maybe I won't get the farting out issue with the Pork side? Thank you for letting me know that it mainly happens with the clean tone before noon, if I experience the same thing then I'll know that it's a general issue and not just a single faulty pedal! That also gives me a good starting point for messing around with the knobs. I'm a little nervous to run at higher voltages than recommended, but I will absolutely keep all of this in mind.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

dedpool1052 likes this.
  6. That's awesome to hear :) I keep hearing good and bad things about this pedal and I'm getting some purchase regret because of that before even using it for the first time. I'm going to try to dive into this without too much prior judgement and hopefully I'll get a tone that I love!

Why do you like the P&P more than the Soul Food pedal?

7. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Glad I could help:thumbsup:

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    the soul food cuts way too much low end for me and the drive isn't all that special either.

Lesfunk and toomuchstraw like this.
  9. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Michigan
    As someone who has owned both, I concur. The P&P is one of the best ODs I’ve tried for bass. The Bass Soul Food is very mid forward and seems to misplace a bit of your low end girth.

The Jam Pedals Lucydreamer Bass is another option you should consider for light to medium OD. It has a very nice character, retains low end, and it can do really subtle to relatively dramatic. It will not do the whole Metalocalypse buzzsaw thing, but it doesn’t sound like thats what you’re after.