1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX Big Muff problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by flakeh, Jun 7, 2007.

1. flakeh

flakeh Inactive

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada

that made me laugh really hard for no reason whatsoever

Oh, Spanky, your voice in the tonefactor demo scares me quite frankly. You sounded really nazelly, you got a cold kind sir? I love the way you just ramble on about it. makes me laugh inside, ha, ha

-flakeh

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    My girlfriend and I are exchanging this sinus infection thing, but I think I just talk funny. I've got a pretty unique voice. Go fig.

3. kzpilot247

kzpilot247

Dec 29, 2007
    this thread had gone off on a bit of a tangent lol but just to be annoying i was gonna ask my own question--

im just planning to start up a pedal collection for my bass and was thinking of getting a big muff simply for the fact that it creates such a legendary sound, obviously i'll get the tuner, overdrive etc later on

but all this stuff about it screwing around wen u start playing lower is kinda putting me off. is it just down to the tone and sustain like it was said in the earlier posts or is there an alternative pedal thats better suited to bass?

any advice would be much appreciated

4. flakeh

flakeh Inactive

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yah...this went horribly offtopic. upon reading it, I remembered why I love spanky so much.

Anyway, If your getting a big muff, look for the russian made ones. IME they handle the low end better.

Settings, I have the volume at unity, tone at 11 to 11:30 and sustain usually at 12 to 1 o'clock. That seems good with me.

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    If you get a Big Muff, get the Little Big Muff. Best and most reliable version I've used for bass... but then again, I'm biased because of the thick, warm tone it delivers on low tone settings.

If you're running an active bass, you may have weird response issues when you crank the sustain on low tone settings, but otherwise, it should be fine. Heck, you might even like the way it breaks up with an active bass on those settings!

6. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    ive recently been into a usa big muff that i was given but i only like the sound of it with the sustain very low and the tone cranked almost full,... then i use an EQ pedal to boost the bass, this gives me such a smooth cutting tone.. without the EQ pedal it would lack so much low end!

and if i cut the tone knob i cant get the sound i want

7. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Maybe it isn't a Muff you need, then... try looking into the MXR Blowtorch. Let me know what you think of it. ;)

8. kzpilot247

kzpilot247

Dec 29, 2007
    thanks for all the advice,

i was thinking about the russian seeing as it gives the awesome distortion that Chris Wolstenholme uses, but im definetly going to look at the little big muff now aswell. Hopefully i'll try out the blowtorch soon, i haven't heard of it before so cheers for the heads up.

thanks again

9. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    I have a Russian Big Muff, and an MXR Blowtorch. I also have a few other distortion pedals that I use.

I am running everything through a Marshall bass rig, and have nailed Chris Wolstenholmes tone on more than one occasion.

I will say the russian big muff is only a part of it. Also realize, songs like "Starlight" are Muff and OC-2 pedal. Hysteria is a Muff, his animato distortion, clean signal, and synth tone all on different tracks.

There is more to his tone than a chain of pedals...

Good luck with the muff, and definatly check out the blowtorch... You will love it.

10. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I am thinking of trying out a muff, but I don't know which:
    Big Muff (US)
    Big Muff (Russian)
    Little Big Muff
    English Muff'n (the price is kinda putting me off)

From what I've read, The Little Big Muff would be a good one.
    Anyone else care to differ?

11. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Well, the English Muff'n is NOTHING like the others, just to let you know. It's an overdrive pedal that can get somewhat fuzzy when cranked to maximum gain, but it's by no means a fuzz pedal. It's meant to sound like a vintage Marshall guitar head, but it holds the low end exceptionally well and sounds great on bass.

When it comes to an actual Big Muff, only the first three really count. If you want to throw in a fourth one, it'd be the old tank-like Sovtek Big Muff - the predecessor to the Russian one. The problem is, they're very expensive since they were discontinued long ago and are hard to find. They were only made for a few years in the early 1990s.

If low end retention is the issue, you'd probably be best off with a Russian or Little. Then, it just narrows down to the considerations of tone, size, and the Boss-style jack. The Little Big Muff can be pretty aggressive if you set it up right, although it's still warmer than the Russian.

Personally, I'd go with the Little Big Muff. But since the Russian's pretty cheap and not hard to find, it wouldn't hurt to stop by your local Guitar Center and give it a try (maybe compare it to the Little Big Muff if they have that in stock, too).

12. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

I have a LBM. The sustain is at about 8 o'clock, the tone is at 12 or 1 o'clock, volume - whatever I can get away with. I also put the LBM after my wah. I have added a Boss NS-2 noise gate that has cut out the white noise and squeals and yells.

I don't seem to lose very much bottom with that set up.

Have a lovely day!

13. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    You guys should try the build your own clone, and customize the components to suit bass. I am making a green muff out of mine, with a slightly different flavor. It is being built into my bass...

I'll let all know how it works...

14. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    New kit came out today. There is also a package to get it "pickled" and as soon as I verify it will work with my PCB I will be ordering it.

15. i USE A green Russian Big Muff-Vol-between 11-1 oclock, tone - 7-9 oclock, sust.-7-9 oclock. This gives me plenty of bottom end & plenty of ragged distortion. I turn UP the sust. for more fuzz & sustain.... up the tone if it's a bassy room etc. I USED the Boss ODB-3 before but this gave too much of a buzzy OD rather than good ol' dirty ragged muff Fuzz. I found the Russian one gave netter bottom end response than the USA big muff. Haven't tried the li'l Muff. The Behringer Sans amp BDDI copy the Behr. BDDI21 is also a darn good OD pedal(especially for $$$) that gives good 70's style OD with added functions of DI, Pre amp etc... Definately a more dirty old school style OD than the Boss ODB-3.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021