Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EHX Black Finger/White Finger

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Funk Warts, May 26, 2005.

1. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    Hey guys, i've got an ever incresing effects set-up and have figured maybe the next thing i should invest in is a compressor to improve the overall tone. I'm a big fan of Electro-Harmonix as they have high quality equipment that's within my pretty modest budget. I had a look on their website and am tempted by the black finger but have noticed they have a new unit out the white finger.

From what i can see there are hardly any difference between the two execpt price (the black finger is about £40/$70 more expensive). Which of these two would anyone reccomend, or are there any others on the market around the £100-£150 price range?

Thanks for any help

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    The Black Finger is a Tube-drive compressor.

The White Finger is a Solid State compressor.

3. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    What exactly is the difference between the two and how will it affect the end result i.e. the sound?

I don't know a massive amount about the tecnical details of effects and alike. Thanks for the advice much appreciated.

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I've never used either of them. I have heard VERY good reviews of the Black Finger.

Probably the best thing to do is find a store that carries both and try them both with your bass.

5. baggpuss

baggpuss

May 28, 2003
    Hull, UK
    Dudes..
    I use a Blackfinger in my ever increasing pedal board.. They are great compressors.. can get a bit noisy when you push the gain on the pre amp stage, mainly due to them being proper tube circuitry, sat in the middle of a load of other pedals and power supplies..but as it says in the ad.. This is a proper studio compressor.. IMHO, a sound investment.. :)

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Black Finger is my current compressor of choice. It is comparable in quality to most sub $400 rackmount units that I have used. It can get noisy when overdriven, as with any true tube device.

They have two different compression sources built in. An old school lamp compressor, and a more modern LED light source.

This pedal is capable of very transparent compression, which is what I use it for. But it is also capable of some very extreme squash, and can even be used as an overdrive unit.

It does have a learning curve though. It took me a few weeks to get it to do what I wanted, and I almost got rid of it.

It also works very well for guitar and vocals, too. It is probably as good as anything you will find in a pedal, and a lot of the less expensive rackmount stuff too.

I have no experience with the White Finger.