1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHX BMS Power Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Geddyfleaharris, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Just got the BMS yesterday. It's manual says to power it with the supplied adaptor. I am just wondering if anyone has powered it off a Voodoo Labs Power Plus 2 using one of the higher 250 mA plugs? Or just be safe and use the walwart?

Thanks.

PS with the very limited time I have spent with the BMS I am digging it!

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I'm guessing you're talking about the new XO version?

I used to power my non-XO BMS all the time using the appropriate Y-cable and my PP2+ on the ACA outputs. What's the maximum current rating on the included adapter?

I'm betting the XO version will work just fine on a 250mA output, since it's analog.

3. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    200mA, so yeah a 250mA isolated supply should be fine.

Just don't daisy-chain it.

4. Ya it's the new XO Boo. Sorry about that.

From the adaptor:

Input 120V AC 60 Hz 0.15A
    Output: 9.6V DC 200mA

The main thing I know about power is to tally up the mA's to make sure you aren't over drawing on a circuit or line etc. Other than that electronics are a mystery to me.

My thinking was that I could use one of the 250 outputs on the PP2. Thanks for confirming it kevteop! The pedal ain't exactly cheap so I didn't feel like blowing it up on day 2.

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    The "200mA" part simply means that it can output up to 200mA. While it doesn't say how much the pedal actually uses, it does tell you that the pedal can't be using more than 200mA.

Most analog pedals use less than 50mA (many, especially with overdrive, as low as 5-10mA), but exceptions exist. In the case of the original BMS, its adapter is 24VDC, 100mA max. That means the old BMS is using less than 100mA. However... that's at 24VDC.

I'm not sure what they may have done with the XO version to run it at 9VDC (as the old one begins to have some minor odd behavior at 18VDC), but one would suspect it could be using more current than the old one did. But how much it actually uses, I have no clue... I don't have the equipment handy to measure it.

6. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    I assume the new XO versions of the old pedals are using newer ICs that suck up less current, require less voltage and put out less heat (better efficiency).

7. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    And also sound from "a little off" to "utter crap" when compared to the originals... :bag:

Yes, I like the new one better.

8. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I measured mine recently & it was sucking down 44mA @ 9V DC while on.

9. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    The PP2 will work fine- My xo bms is running off the 250ma outlet with no issues.

10. Cool. :bassist: