1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi HF Hum

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Garun, Feb 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Garun

Garun Guest

Sep 8, 2015
    Few days ago I bought this pedal and I honestly love it
    On battery (which is included), there is no hum, everything is fine
    But with my 2.25$ (on ebay) adapter, there is high frequency hum.
    I don't have that hum on my TC Ditto (same adapter) nor with other adapter (12V) on my Markbass Super Booster.
    Honestly I wish there was a ground lift in this pedal, but there isn't any (and it would only work on DI part). I do use noise gate to eliminate that hum, but only when I don't play (and noise gate is a bit slow)
    Any ideas what to do? Last resort is to buy rechargeable 9V battery for it :)

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Get rid of the cheap power supply and get something decent to power it with . Some pedals that don't have a lot of gain are fine with dirty power but Higher gain pedals need cleaner power.

3. Garun

Garun Guest

Sep 8, 2015
    Any tips on what I should look for in that power supply? Like having some mods that cheap ones don't have? Any tip will help :)

4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I used to use a one spot but it also caused noise in some of my OD and Fuzz pedals . I switched to a regulated power supply and have not had any Issues since. There one Made by Dunlop I believe the DC brick Also Pedal Power ISO power supplies. They are not cheap but they are not noisy either . Sometimes you can find them on the classifieds here at a good price.

5. J.D. Detroit

J.D. Detroit

Nov 12, 2015
    Detroit
  6. Garun

Garun Guest

Sep 8, 2015
    I just built faraday's cage into the power unit, it reduced that HF hum, but not completely.
    Thanks for answers guys, but I think I'll go with rechargeable battery for beginning in live situations, at home, power supply will do the work

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Does it hum when the Muff is the only pedal connected to the supply? Often adding a digital pedal to a daisy chain can add noise, you'd be looking for a power supply with isolated outputs to solve that.

8. Garun

Garun Guest

Sep 8, 2015
    It's just the Muff, but when I turn off the effect (with power supplied), no hum, no noise
    But when it's on battery, there is no noise either way, maybe a bit of that standard dist hum that I kill with Muffs noise gate

9. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I have an EH C9 Organ machine and it requires it's own ac adaptor (9.4v) over any 9v power supply or else it has a faint high pitch note and I Just got an EH Good Vibes chorus/vibrato that makes no sweep at all without it's own 9.4 ac and I'm beginning to believe EH is going contrary on power again like the old days. Fortunately the Pitchfork is fine at 9v.

10. Garun

Garun Guest

Sep 8, 2015
    Well how does this work on 9V battery then? It seems that 9V is enough, but the power supply is the problem.

11. Garun

Garun Guest

Sep 8, 2015
    Asked a friend of mine, he said to get a diode (1N4007) and cap (1000u/16v), put them like this and it should fix it
    Also he says Ditto works fine because it has it's own stabilisators, so it regulates that
    12687985_10207707910330152_1944665429049453445_n.
    This should be on the output of the power supply. I'll put it in the cable first, if it works, I'll put mod on two new units (same as this one, which are on their way) in the case.
    If it works, I'll post a reply withing 4-5 days. Hopefully it works and it helps more people.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  12. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    Is this why my drive pedal isn't getting the grind it typically does??? Two days ago, I replaced a dead battery with a power supply a friend gave me...

13. I believe Electro Harmonix makes a power supply specifically for that pedal.think I got mine for $10 off the Guitar Center website.

14. A boss PSA power supply works with the big muff and most other pedals and is well built and internally regulated. I've used the same one for 20 years no problems.

Cheaper than buying batteries especially when you have a few items.

15. Garun

Garun Guest

Sep 8, 2015
    Replying back about the scheme I posted
    It works great. There is no HF hum now and I'm pleased not buying new stuff honestly
    Here's a pict (tho it's a prototype, it will get in a small box and planning to put trim pot on it to reduce voltage (i hear fuzz loves to work like that)) :) 12714380_10208326301293915_733650842_n.

16. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Nice! I think there'd be a market for little right-angled adaptors to go on daisy chain tips, I'd like one for my EHX B9 as I currently have to run it on it's own power supply. Same goes for any Zoom multi-fx units I've owned in the past.

17. Garun

Garun Guest

Sep 8, 2015
    There are, but less common I think. And they sure look ugly
    If it was prewired with cable, I think I'd get them. Going tomorrow to buy trim pot and make second prototype.
    Not sure if I measured wattage of this, it should be 4mA... If so, I could install the trim pot, 10k lin it should be (if anyone needs that info)
    The only sacrafice of this is -0.6V (in my case about -0.55V) drop because of diode. Tho I checked my adapter, it is 9.6V, so it's okay. I wonder how will it work with even more voltage drop :)

18. My pedal chain goes...
    1. EHX Switchblade (a/b/y)
    2. Alter Ego Damnation (dist)
    3. EHX Big Muff Pi (fuzz)
    4. Digitech Bass Multichorus (chorus)
    5. Digitech Digidelay (delay)
    All powered by a T-Red Fuel Tank

Both the Damnation and the Big Muff put out a decent amount of hiss, run them together and it gets LOUD! I'm wondering if I should mod them, or would running them on their own 9V power supplies solve the problem? I've got some EHX 9V supplies kicking around somewhere...I should dig them out.