EHX English Muff'n - Favorite Tubes for Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vermouth, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Vermouth

Vermouth

Dec 31, 2020
    San Diego, CA
    Has anyone experimented with the Electro-Harmonix English Muff'n and come to a favorite tube to swap, with a focus on bass specifically?

It ships with two 12AY7s, so it's mostly a question of gain factor. 12AX7 increases gain while 12AU7 lowers it, etc.

I don't plan to use it as a crazy distortion effect, but more as a boost. Please comment if you have a favorite tube replacement for punchy, clean low end.

Also, how are the two tubes set up? If you were going to mix a 12AX7 and 12AU7 for example, what order would make the most sense?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    merseymale likes this.
  2. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018
    I’d love to know too as I’ve just won one on eBay!

3. After I first read this I ran home and played with mine, and while it seems likely that lower gain tubes will retain more low end as the grindier noises seem to suck a little low end out, both of my tube preamps are kinda on the fritz so I can't really say anything with confidence :/.

4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I used to own several of these EHX big box tube series pedals, all featuring 2 preamp tubes run at proper high 300V plate voltage.

The one I regret most letting go of was the 2 channel/stereo LPB-2ube tube preamp, on which you could also bridge the 2 channels opening the possibility of using it as tube overdrive pedal.

However I am glad I kept the EHX Black Finger, which is a tube driven optical compressor, basically meaning an optical compressor circuit placed between the input and output stage of a tube preamp, and how I use it in both my guitar and bass setup I have it dialed in to a quite subtle compression that only starts to kick in when I dig in hard, making it's primary function being my tube preamp stage of my setup, with the input gain set to just before the input tube starts to break up when I dig in the hardest, adding some beautiful and very musical tonal magic and tube warmth to my signal.

I'd even dare say it is the most crucial pedal in my setup, and wouldn't know what to do if it should ever, God forbid, break beyond repair, which is why I plan to buy myself a spare at some point.

Really a shame EHX discontinued these pedals, all of them were great.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021